Hello from (not so) sunny Scotland.

Myrkk

In the Brooder
May 7, 2024
HI Everyone

I kept chickens for many years until we moved across country to a flat. I so missed them they were full of character. Old Father Time the Barbu d'uccle cockeral was a feisty little thing and the hens were forever pinching the Welsummer eggs so they could hatch them. Meanwhile the welsummers would pinch our sandwiches from our hands and run off with them. We raised all of them from day old chicks (except the ones the barbu d'uccles hatched) and they were super friendly and would come from a cuddle.

Happily we have recently moved into a house with a garden, albeit a lot smaller than our previous garden which had access to the hills out back. It is a big enough garden to support a few poultry though.

We are now on the look out for some feathery friends to share our garden with. Sadly we have neighbours so no cockerals hence the thought to have some ducks and a few hens. I'm not sure how to breed the hens with no cockeral, borrow one for a day or two? But given how difficult it is to find the breed I'm looking for I am wondering about this.

People keep offering me rescue hens, which although I would love to, with the limited space we have I want to stick to my favourites, rare breeds. We are currently looking for large breed silver appleyard ducks and have found someone who sells fertile eggs, and also some welsummer and scots grey large breed, the latter being somewhat difficult to find and I really wish I could have a cockeral.

The personalities of these little feathery bundles is just amazing and I love raising them from chicks and see how friendly they become. If I could never have another indoor pet I would always have poultry they are an underestimated pet. We have 2 indoor cats and two dogs, our lab just turned 13yrs today. They love having the run of the back garden so we'll have to introduce them carefully, especially the collie as he's blind and a little nutty at times.

I found you whilst searching for information on backyard poultry funnily enough so the SEO is working :)

Back
Top Bottom