Hello from Kentucky

Brown Egg Project

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Central Kentucky
I have been using this forum for almost 8 months and finally decided to register. The knowledge gained from this site has helped me grow 16 - day old chicks from Cackle Hatchery without losing a one. For newbies this is by far the best site to research. It is 5 degrees here in Central Kentucky with the windchill at about 5 below. The girls are out in the run presently scratching around for the double dose of scratch I give them this morning. Some have already returned back inside the coop to consider laying an egg or warm up. I am averaging about 4 - 5 eggs a day with a new layer starting every couple of days. My girls had a birthday today and they are 26 weeks old. I would have never imagined how much fun this is. I would like to say Thank You to all of the knowledgeable people who contribute to this site. BYC people you are the greatest.
thumbsup.gif

Dandelion 007, I ordered Buff Orpingtons from Cackle Hatchery around the 5th of May and rec'vd my order on the 24th of June. Chicknmama thanks for the threads. I am new to this area and the people I know do not have Buff Orps. I would like to find a young cockerel or rooster for my pullets and maybe I can find someone within an hour or two that has one for sale. I live out in the country on 17 acres and did not know how much noise the girls would make so I have decided to go on and get a roo. I have a few that announce to neighbors a quarter mile away that they laid an egg so I thought what the heck. Their cows don't bother me mooing and crying for their calves that they take away so hopefully my hens and rooster will not cause a fuss.
D.gif

Quote:
You ought to have an easy time finding a spare roo from someone - everyone seems to have spare roos
lau.gif

I just hatched two Buff Orps - I am hoping both are hens, as I have a roo for them when they are older - if not, then I'll either have a buff orp roo for sale or he'll be dinner. They are nice chicks, I got the eggs from hinkjc on BYC - I had bought a dozen eggs, but only the two hatched - (I have to add here, that it was NOT her fault, they came beautifully packaged, it was just too cold to ship and the eggs didn't hatch - but most of them developed to a point. Live and learn - no more shipped eggs for me until it is warmer out.)

The babies I have are just a week old, but if one turns out to be a roo, and ya don't have one yet, I'll let ya know.

meri

Quote:
cool i ordeed mine from cackel hatchery 2
i got white leghorns and Barred rocks and only lost 2 in shipping!
the white leghorns like 2 fight!

Back
Top Bottom