Heat wave

corthendo

Chirping
May 22, 2023
My first heat wave today with my babies I’m really nervous, I got a watermelon and I’m freezing a gallon of water for them to stand on. My backyard is heavily shaded until the evening. Should I bring my 5 week olds in the house when it gets too hot? I have my 8 week olds as well but I don’t have anywhere to put them in the house lol

Attachments

• A8184103-36EC-41B3-AD8B-1E680E1F39D7.jpeg
    A8184103-36EC-41B3-AD8B-1E680E1F39D7.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 53
  • 41BE3FDE-842B-4A37-A3DB-982674313BC2.jpeg
    41BE3FDE-842B-4A37-A3DB-982674313BC2.jpeg
    942.6 KB · Views: 14
No, do not bring them inside.
Doing so will make it harder for them once they are out back out in the heat.

As long as they are in the shade and have plenty of ventilation they will be fine.

Do not give them ice cold water either...cool is fine but ice cold is too drastic and could shock them.

My first heat wave today with my babies I’m really nervous, I got a watermelon and I’m freezing a gallon of water for them to stand on. My backyard is heavily shaded until the evening. Should I bring my 5 week olds in the house when it gets too hot? I have my 8 week olds as well but I don’t have anywhere to put them in the house lol
I'd get rid of that box before someone gets stuck in it.

I'd get rid of that box before someone gets stuck in it.
When I read about letting the babies be outside it said to have somewhere for them to run in if they are scared. They don’t ever use it though

No, do not bring them inside.
Doing so will make it harder for them once they are out back out in the heat.

As long as they are in the shade and have plenty of ventilation they will be fine.

Do not give them ice cold water either...cool is fine but ice cold is too drastic and could shock them.
I saw videos about freezing water in milk jugs and putting them in the run for them to stand on. Will that shock them or is it okay to do?

I saw videos about freezing water in milk jugs and putting them in the run for them to stand on. Will that shock them or is it okay to do?
That should be fine because they can get away from it.

The birds in your picture don't look heat stressed in the least bit. They don't even look like they are panting.

That should be fine because they can get away from it.

The birds in your picture don't look heat stressed in the least bit. They don't even look like they are panting.
They aren’t yet it’s only 1 pm and it’s going to get hotter I’m just trying to be proactive. I’m an anxious person and I don’t want to lose any of my girls.

They aren’t yet it’s only 1 pm and it’s going to get hotter I’m just trying to be proactive. I’m an anxious person and I don’t want to lose any of my girls.
I'm right there with ya! I have 2 of the same age... I've avoided putting them out because of the heat but I've been taking them outside each day to acclimate. They're in a nice cool house and I'm afraid to put them outside during this heat advisory.

Back
Top Bottom