Heat plate placement

troyak

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
Getting ready for 12 chicks in 2 days from now. Getting set up. Should the heat plate be against the wall, or should there be some space around all 4 sides.

Also puppy pads, it there danger of chicks picking at the blue plastic, i currently have it covered with paper towel. I will switch to shavings in a couple days on d they figure iut their food.

Thanks, I had chickens before, but never chicks

Attachments

• IMG_5009.jpeg
    IMG_5009.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 2
They don't need paper towels over the pee pads, they can't rip the pads at this age. They'll need a heat lamp for the first few days, heatplates aren't typically warm enough.
Ok, thanks, i thought they would attack the blue edges. Thats why I covered them.

I haven't even ordered my chicks yet, so don't take my advice, but I'd leave space on all 4 sides so that chicks don't get stuck under the back corner or wall and overheat.
I've also heard that a brooder plate should be plugged in 12 hours before the chicks arrive, as they take a long time to warm up.

Good luck!
They don't need paper towels over the pee pads, they can't rip the pads at this age. They'll need a heat lamp for the first few days, heatplates aren't typically warm enough.
I was thinking I had heard that about heat lamps, but couldn't remember the reason.
Thanks for reminding me nuthatched!

I've also heard that a brooder plate should be plugged in 12 hours before the chicks arrive, as they take a long time to warm up.
I second this! I got shipped chicks and I turned on the heat plate 24 hours before the chicks arrived and they were good. I also had a space heater in that room running at 79 degrees for those 24 hours before as well to keep the room overall temp good for them. I had no losses nor too chilled of chicks and they all seemed to be warm enough. The heat plate I have is pretty warm though so it depends on brands.

They'll need a heat lamp for the first few days, heatplates aren't typically warm enough.
Could you please explain why so many people on this forum successfully use heat plates if they "aren't typically warm enough"?

Some heat plates come with a warning to not use them in ambient temperatures below 50 Fahrenheit so some have limits. But like any other tool, if used properly they work really well.

I always have one side of my heating pad very low and the other side much higher, so the chicks can find a comfort height themselves. During the first few days, the lower side is almost touching the ground and the higher side is a couple inches higher than their backs. I raise the plate every few days.

I haven't even ordered my chicks yet, so don't take my advice, but I'd leave space on all 4 sides so that chicks don't get stuck under the back corner or wall and overheat.

Good luck!

I was thinking I had heard that about heat lamps, but couldn't remember the reason.
Thanks for reminding me nuthatched!
This was my thinking too. My chicks will be in s heated garage, i plan on turning the garage heat and heat plate on the day before. I plugged in the brooding plate when I first got it, just to make sure it works, heated up quite quickly, but will give it a good 24 test before I get the chicks. I pick them up from the hatchery that is agout 45 mins from home

I always have one side of my heating pad very low and the other side much higher, so the chicks can find a comfort height themselves. During the first few days, the lower side is almost touching the ground and the higher side is a couple inches higher than their backs. I raise the plate every few days.
Wow. Thats really low, i have one side at 1.5 inches, the other 3, i guess I will lower the low side some more

I second this! I got shipped chicks and I turned on the heat plate 24 hours before the chicks arrived and they were good. I also had a space heater in that room running at 79 degrees for those 24 hours before as well to keep the room overall temp good for them. I had no losses nor too chilled of chicks and they all seemed to be warm enough. The heat plate I have is pretty warm though so it depends on brands.
Which brand do you have?

Back
Top Bottom