Heat lamp vs Heating Pad

Pics
I had a couple of late molting Barred Rock last winter. They started to molt December and finished February.
20200105_091923_resized.jpg

January 5. ^^
20200201_053813_resized.jpg

February 1. ^^.
She was last to molt.
Average temps here in the middle of January are, lows 18 F and 34 F highs.
20200111_095159_resized.jpg

January 12 ^^.
I don't add heat to coops, but do have a heated waterer in my well ventilated coops.
Average temps inside coops are 7 to 8 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than outside when I open coops before sunrise during winter season.

I do keep winter hearty chickens and never had frost bitten combs or toes, even with narrow roosts.
20200511_093718_resized.jpg

This hen ^^ had been through 4 winters with temps inside coop as low as -7 F. She was 50 months old in this photo. GC

Supplementing heat.. if a bird NEEDS it will allow their energy to go towards something more improtant..

Keeping a bird colder when younger uses more energy to stay warm and less energy would go to feather growth..

But many people have observed:
Chicks raised in a constant warm temperature grow feathers at one rate.
Chicks raised with a large cool area and a single warm spot (heat lamp, heat pad, heat plate) grow feathers faster.

In each case, the chicks are typically provided with free-choice food, and they waste enough that any differences in food consumption are not noticed.

In my opinion, extra heat is not at all required as long as water is consistently available and there is a place to get out of the wind and weather. I live in Kansas and temps are regularly below freezing for weeks at a time. I use a stock heater and heated dog bowls to keep water available.

As far as shavings vs straw... One year I used straw and come spring it was a stinky mess. Over the last few years I've started using the leaves out of my yard. They are free and don't create a stinky mess in the spring. Comparatively speaking.

Then that would be different from dogs, goats, horses, donkey etc who's winter coats are brought on by lowering temperatures and come springtime/summer shedding? Genetics, breed notwithstanding.
I'm not sure what triggers shedding and winter coats.. some animals get them and others don't.. is it light related, is it temperature related or is it a combination of many things humans can't detect including individual hormone levels.. Maybe temperature and light AND even nutrients.. reach a certain level combined, blah blah blah (only meant my questing goes on forever and not as rudeness).. always AGE/gene related... I don't know, I think genes is always at play.. and I think it's a fascinating discussion! But definitely things are not equal across the board between species.. we don't even have the same digestion
But many people have observed:
Chicks raised in a constant warm temperature grow feathers at one rate.
Chicks raised with a large cool area and a single warm spot (heat lamp, heat pad, heat plate) grow feathers faster.

In each case, the chicks are typically provided with free-choice food, and they waste enough that any differences in food consumption are not noticed.
All I can tell you is I have raised hundreds of birds.. from my own stock in the varying setting you describe including brood's.. and I saw ALL the feathering differences take place in ALL the settings.. fast, slow.. not impacted by.. I think too many folks are reporting too small of number with too wide a range of genetics and limited control groups for comparison.. for there to be any actual correlation taking place.. What I've seen personally says a warm spot when needed, adequate nutrition.. and everything else is genetic..

So I'm saying show me study using a large number of the same age and breed birds on the same feed and husbandry routine.. constant temp verse broody type/ warm up area.. where the birds that had *cold areas* actually have better feather quality and growth rate.. Not this anecdotal stuff from a few hatchery birds under a wide range of possible setting not taken into account number of sleep hours etc..

Using daylight lamps, dark lamps indoors/outdoors, summer/winter, broody/brooder.. You do YOU.. That's not my experience.. and individual genetics is the biggest factor followed by nutrition.. EVERYTHING else is gravy.

A place to warm up with something cooler however cooler that may be.. even snow.. is the most natural at a young age. At an older age.. temperatures tend to stay season constant with daytime high and night time lows.. While I agree with it being the best option I'm saying the claims of it growing feathers faster are PURE HOGWASH.. and I don't mean people are liars or even wrong about what they observed.. just that MY wide array of experiences (which I still consider very limited) does not agree with that take.. having done the experiment using the different set ups and different breeds. I'm calling it limited perception on those who perpetuate it.. :oops:

I've tested different protein levels, different brooding methods, different breeds.. across the board.. I know I take many hard lines.. but I am here to learn.. so please show me something documented if you can find it that shows such?! Sincerely. :)

I had a couple of late molting Barred Rock last winter. They started to molt December and finished February.View attachment 2402671
January 5. ^^View attachment 2402672
February 1. ^^.
She was last to molt.
Average temps here in the middle of January are, lows 18 F and 34 F highs.View attachment 2402694
January 12 ^^.
I don't add heat to coops, but do have a heated waterer in my well ventilated coops.
Average temps inside coops are 7 to 8 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than outside when I open coops before sunrise during winter season.

I do keep winter hearty chickens and never had frost bitten combs or toes, even with narrow roosts.View attachment 2402710
This hen ^^ had been through 4 winters with temps inside coop as low as -7 F. She was 50 months old in this photo. GC
Thank you. I absolutely love looking at other folks' chickens. They are lovely.

It regularly gets to -30 and -35 during the night and early morning here in northern Minnesota. I use a good thick (1') bed of shavings but the chickens prefer to roost on the bars at night. Of course, after I close the door up, maybe they have an exercise program to keep them warm ;) Anyway, we haven't used any kind of heat in the coops in the 15 years we've been raising chickens.

It regularly gets to -30 and -35 during the night and early morning here in northern Minnesota. I use a good thick (1') bed of shavings but the chickens prefer to roost on the bars at night. Of course, after I close the door up, maybe they have an exercise program to keep them warm ;) Anyway, we haven't used any kind of heat in the coops in the 15 years we've been raising chickens.
Thanks for that. I'm loving the feedback and all the different approaches to seriously cold temps and how chickens handle it.

Tonya,
Thanks, however I don't agree with you as far as heat not needed 'anywhere in California', but as I mentioned heat lamp and hay does have me concerned and I appreciate your warning of the danger.
Does anyone on here have further advise re heating pad or other heat source besides heat lamp?
In my opinion, best and safest heat source is a cuddly rooster!

Back
Top Bottom