MysteryKit

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
Hi there,

I got a 3 year old serama rooster with a heart murmur diagnosed when he was 1 year old almost. He has been doing well with it just needed more care an attention then any other animal I had.

But lately it has been getting slightly worsen, he lost sight in 1 eye and really can't not go well with cold as temperatures are dropping near 2c at night I move them for that inside the house.

But tonight I also noticed that he is breathing with more difficulty. He is slightly making noise when breathing and beak a little bit open. Not sure if the eye + breathing has to do with the heart murmur or if something else might cause this as I am very unfamiliar with this disease and so are all the vets here since they haven't heard about this happening to a chicken/rooster before.

So I hope someone hear might know a bit more and can help me out on what to do or what to expect. As I do not want him to suffer or be in any pain.

I had a hen with a heart murmur and laboured breathing. The vet put her on pimobendan and it helped a lot. I can’t comment on the eye and temperature issues and whether that’s related.

I guess symptoms with that all differs then? It is because his comb turned blue a lot that I went to the vet with him to find out what was wrong there they noticed the heart murmur.

His breathing was fine and nothing else seems to be wrong. But with hard wind or cold temps would stress him out making his comb turned blue so if the weather is too bad I also dint have him outside. And cold temps I have to move them inside of the house.

The lost eye sight is new and just noticed it a few weeks ago no damage to be seen just completely blind suddenly. And the breathing I noticed it at night as well at day it's barely visible.

Sadly bc my vets have no idea what to do on these stuff I didn't got any meds to help him then just keep a close eye on him and do what I can do.

I guess symptoms with that all differs then? It is because his comb turned blue a lot that I went to the vet with him to find out what was wrong there they noticed the heart murmur.

His breathing was fine and nothing else seems to be wrong. But with hard wind or cold temps would stress him out making his comb turned blue so if the weather is too bad I also dint have him outside. And cold temps I have to move them inside of the house.

The lost eye sight is new and just noticed it a few weeks ago no damage to be seen just completely blind suddenly. And the breathing I noticed it at night as well at day it's barely visible.

Sadly bc my vets have no idea what to do on these stuff I didn't got any meds to help him then just keep a close eye on him and do what I can do.
Serama are so tiny they can't handle cold too well. It is good that you took him inside.

For treatment you could go for natural remedies like a tea with oregano, thyme and aniseed instead of water.

And for his heart some crataegus
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3891531/

Back
Top Bottom