Hawks

applebutter14

Songster
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Iowa
today i was inside and i heard one of my hens making a lot of noise and i thought nothing of it because she always make a big deal about when she lays an egg or if she found a bug and wont share, but this time she kept going on and on so i went out side and just as i went outside a hawk flew away so i quickly ran over to the hens and started counting my chickens and ducks, luckily they were all there, i am starting this thread because i am wondering what should i do to keep hawks out of my yard, i have never thought about it before because we live in town, but seeing that hawk scared me, i was expecting to see blood and feathers.

Are they in a run or free range? Right now I use CD's hanging up where the wind can blow them and move the reflection around, I've also heard that fishing line strung up in a spiderweb layout works well too. I live in the country and have at least 3-5 mated pairs living around the area, they've been here for years and my flock only a month or so. The CD's are working for now but I'm worried they will catch on. A covered run would be your best bet but put something on the cover because seeing the hawk is one thing, trying to get one untangled over a run is a horse of another color!

My chickens are freeranging but if I am gone for more then a day I keep them I a run and the run has a covered lid. I never thought about the CDs would work for hawks, I'll try that. Thanks for the information! -applebutter14

My CD's have been up from the start and my birds still aren't used to it. If you have a few trees or tall posts you can run a network of "spider web" with fishing line which helps. Then hang the CD's in randomly but spaced at different heights with fishing line. Predator birds can see the fishing line and the CD's blowing in the wind looks freaky to them. The light reflection casts bright fast moving lights. They work way better than stationary objects like the big plastic owls. All wildlife will catch on if it never moves. Hope this helps, it's really cheap and easy.

Are they in a run or free range? Right now I use CD's hanging up where the wind can blow them and move the reflection around, I've also heard that fishing line strung up in a spiderweb layout works well too. I live in the country and have at least 3-5 mated pairs living around the area, they've been here for years and my flock only a month or so. The CD's are working for now but I'm worried they will catch on. A covered run would be your best bet but put something on the cover because seeing the hawk is one thing, trying to get one untangled over a run is a horse of another color!

I find Barry Manilow CDs work best
lau.gif

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while she tried to be a star
Tony always tended bar
Across the crowded floor, they worked from eight til four
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?"
Sorry am I showing my age?
gig.gif

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while she tried to be a star
Tony always tended bar
Across the crowded floor, they worked from eight til four
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?"
Sorry am I showing my age?
gig.gif

Possibly, but it sure put a smile on my face! Great to have a laugh at 7:15 on a Monday morning - thanks!
CT

I've had my chickens for two years now. This year seems to be back for hawks. I was outside twice and my feisty very protective silkie rooster started going off like crazy. I looked up and there were hawks flying over head. This happened two days I was out side. Currently they are in their house atm. My houses are in a location where I can't attach a run to them sadly. I did get the Amish to build a hoop house, but out of wood. It is very heavy and I have to finish setting it up. Otherwise my chickens free range and this has just recently been an issue.

Thankfully our beagle/hound mix has been out with my chickens and was barking her head off at them. She is a great protection dog. That is the only protection I have for them atm. So far my chickens haven't been taken.

I'm sure they will be back if they have seen your chickens though. I wish I had a solution for you bedsides a covered run.

Back
Top Bottom