Having an issue with bedding

ashlynne87

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
I have 8 girls I got last Wednesday from TSC. Today I tried switching from paper towels to pine shavings for the second time. The first time they seemed to get overheated and ended up drinking a ton of water, so I removed the shavings and waited another few days. Today I tried again and the same thing happened, although I noticed it much sooner so the increased water consumption didn’t happen. They all were on top of the brooder plate or eating/drinking at the other end of the brooder. They also all seemed incredibly itchy, much more so than typical preening (no signs of mites or anything that I could see). Needless to say, we are back on paper towels again. It seems like my Producer’s Pride brooding plate gets too hot when there’s pine shavings? Is that even possible? It’s currently on the highest height that it can go and the girls have no issues under the plate when it’s on paper towels. Any insight?

It’s possible that the plate is too hot. One thing you might try is putting 2x4s under the sides. That will raise it a 1 1/2 inches higher. I had to do that with my heating pad as my chicks got bigger and it worked fine.

Large flake pine shavings from TSC.
Well that's good. It might be too warm because the pine shavings hold a little heat and insulate the chicks a bit more, so they're just getting too hot. I'd raise the heater plate more, like @Captain13 suggested above, and see if that won't improve things. With 2x4 scraps or bricks.

I tested my brooder plate when I first got it, and it WAS too hot. They're supposed to run at about 125-deg-F surface temperature, and mine was running 135. I needed it ASAP and no time to return it, so I bought a temperature regulator. I plugged the brooder plate into the regulator, taped the sensor to the underside of the brooder plate, set it for 125-deg, and it's been working fantastic.

About the water, I strongly suggest you offer the chicks a small tray of chick grit, like this:
1685064570423.png

It's likely they are eating bits of the wood chips (and that's why large chips are recommended, NOT the mini-flakes). It's normal for them to eat some (not great, but typical), but they'll need some grit to grind up the indigestible bits. Just add some to their feed - or if you want to have some fun, put it in a shallow tray and watch them go crazy for it. It's a hoot to watch.

Let them have all the water they want.

I had one of these plates.
I actually never used it for birds...it went to the trash can becuase it got WAYYYYYYYY Too hot.

The shavings aren't the problem. This heat plate is.

Can you get a regular old school light bulb and a clippy lamp?

I have 8 girls I got last Wednesday from TSC. Today I tried switching from paper towels to pine shavings for the second time. The first time they seemed to get overheated and ended up drinking a ton of water, so I removed the shavings and waited another few days. Today I tried again and the same thing happened, although I noticed it much sooner so the increased water consumption didn’t happen. They all were on top of the brooder plate or eating/drinking at the other end of the brooder. They also all seemed incredibly itchy, much more so than typical preening (no signs of mites or anything that I could see). Needless to say, we are back on paper towels again. It seems like my Producer’s Pride brooding plate gets too hot when there’s pine shavings? Is that even possible? It’s currently on the highest height that it can go and the girls have no issues under the plate when it’s on paper towels. Any insight?
What is the size of their enclosure?

I had one of these plates.
I actually never used it for birds...it went to the trash can becuase it got WAYYYYYYYY Too hot.

The shavings aren't the problem. This heat plate is.

Can you get a regular old school light bulb and a clippy lamp?
Right there with you on the plates. I just have zero confidence in them to either stay warm enough or not overheat

Back
Top Bottom