Ducknewb_22

Songster
Aug 1, 2018
I purchased 20 duck eggs
6 Rouen
7 Pekin
7 Cayuga

I have a bator arriving Tuesday August 21. This will give me a few days to test it before they arrive!

Do I let eggs sit for a day or two before I put in bator?

How do I store them until they go into
the bator?

How long can they be stored before they go in?

Tia!

Found ya! I would put them in as soon as you have your bator stable. I put mine in but didn't start the turner until after they had been in for 24 hours to give my scrambled air cells a chance to stabilize. I wish I had taken better pictures but I have an external pip on one that had a saddle air cell. :idunno Good luck!

Found ya! I would put them in as soon as you have your bator stable. I put mine in but didn't start the turner until after they had been in for 24 hours to give my scrambled air cells a chance to stabilize. I wish I had taken better pictures but I have an external pip on one that had a saddle air cell. :idunno Good luck!
Glad you found this thread!

I wish you had a picture of that saddle air cell, I’ve never heard of it what is it exactly?

Can’t imagine what I would do if all 20 hatch ? Yikes !

I think tho I’m going to have my boys do there science fair project in it tho, that way they get the full learning experiences with it! They got a good taste last time but I want them more involved this time!

Some folks wait 24 to even 48 hours before setting shipped eggs. Like dpenning, I don’t usually wait to start them, but I do candle them all first and check out the air cells. If the air cells are firm and still attached, you can go ahead and start the turner. If the air cells are very saddled or worse - totally detached - I’d wait a day or two before doing any turning. If they look really bad and you want to wait before even loading them in the incubator, just keep them fat end up, in a carton, in a room that doesn’t get too warm. Closets are usually good. I use my spare bedroom lol
You may also want to consider the age of the eggs, if you know when they were laid. The longer you hold off incubating, the viability decreases.

image.jpg
I’m
Glad you found this thread!

I wish you had a picture of that saddle air cell, I’ve never heard of it what is it exactly?
going
Some folks wait 24 to even 48 hours before setting shipped eggs. Like dpenning, I don’t usually wait to start them, but I do candle them all first and check out the air cells. If the air cells are firm and still attached, you can go ahead and start the turner. If the air cells are very saddled or worse - totally detached - I’d wait a day or two before doing any turning. If they look really bad and you want to wait before even loading them in the incubator, just keep them fat end up, in a carton, in a room that doesn’t get too warm. Closets are usually good. I use my spare bedroom lol
You may also want to consider the age of the eggs, if you know when they were laid. The longer you hold off incubating, the viability decreases.
i got call saying I should have those eggs by Friday or Saturday!! Also just got this a few minutes ago and I put it you together and gonna start it up after I pick up my boys from school!!

5E210EA1-7487-4FDB-96AA-F4CDB662668D.jpeg
I’ve begun bator testing with egg turner and thermometers and hygrometers!

Just came back from a run and I’m sitting outside and this is my yard right now full of ducklings lol

Back
Top Bottom