Hatch Rates

farmwife2016

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2018
It’s day 22 and I have 10 eggs that have hatched out of 26. Should I leave them a few more days and see if they pip? I have 3 that have pipped already but not much movement now. Going to see if they made any progress by tomorrow morning. We originally had 38 and 11 did not develop or died young (I’m assuming) when I checked them at day 18 candling. This is my first batch of chicks that we have hatched ourselves and I’m still not sure what to expect

I gave them 2 to three days after hatch date just to be sure. Were they shipped? My first two batches were great. Like 70 to 80 % hatch rate. My last batch was only about 50%.

I gave them 2 to three days after hatch date just to be sure. Were they shipped? My first two batches were great. Like 70 to 80 % hatch rate. My last batch was only about 50%.
These are eggs from my 1 year old hens. We wanted to save money and hatch our own this year instead of buying from a hatchery and I just hope I did okay with getting everything ready. Tried doing lots of research before starting

Is it normal for them to poke a hole and have their beaks sticking out but not moving? I have 3 that are like that but I don’t see their beaks moving at all

Is it normal for them to poke a hole and have their beaks sticking out but not moving? I have 3 that are like that but I don’t see their beaks moving at all
When did they pip?
Do you hear chirping coming from the incubator?

It is normal for them to not move after they pip. They are resting or sleeping. They don’t always move. If they pipped more than 24 hours ago, that’s a different issue.

Last edited:
I have had many that took 24+hours from first pip to hatch. If your temperature was a little low it will also take longer. Also the fertility of your rooster may not be good. If you had to removed 11 eggs in the beginning that is not a good sign. I am sure more experienced people will chime in.

When did they pip?
Do you hear chirping coming from the incubator?

It is normal for them to not move after they pip. They are resting or sleeping. They don’t always move. If they pipped more than 24 hours ago, that’s a different issue.
I think these ones just pipped yesterday afternoon. I work away from home so all I have is a video camera on top of the incubator so I can check on them throughout the day. We will be doing a second hatch after this one so I’m hoping to be home next time so I can keep a closer eye on them

Out of 21 eggs I had in incubator...I had 7 hatch...33 percent.

I opened up several which had not even pipped and found fully formed chicks within a day of being ready to hatch and they looked like they had drowned. Some were my eggs and some were the Bielefelder eggs which I had had shipped in.

I did report my findings to the vendor and although they cannot be held liable for hatch rates, they kindly offered to send me another batch at a greatly reduced rate and I will take them up on that offer as a couple of the shipped eggs were also "blanks"

So this morning I shut down the incubator and will dispose of the remaining eggs, wash and sanitize and wait till the new batch arrives.

Interesting how some eggs will pip and hatch normally and others just do not...given that the environment is the same for everybody.

incubator.jpg
It's one my hubby bought for me few years ago, I was having troubles with it maintaining temperature but after a LOT of research I figured that one out. The 7 eggs hatched from this one.

Back
Top Bottom