Has anyone fried or roasted 3 month old heritage breeds?

I was wondering if anyone processed heritage cockerels and hens around 3 months old? I would like to know if their meat and skin are tender when fried or roasted?

I know at 5 months old their meat and skin are like rubber and needs to be stewed or used to make soup.

My 3 month old Breese/Dark Cornish crosses are crowing and need to be processed, but they haven't filled in yet and look skinny. Furthermore, they were raised in a 4ft x 8ft wire floor coop with out free ranging.

I will try frying a few to see how their meat and skin texture are at that age.
If you fry them and they turn out tough, you can put them in the crockpot and cook them up. That is what i did when I accidentally fried a mature rooster. Couldn't eat him at all. Ended up having a nice fried chicken dinner without the chicken that night. After a few hours in the cooker the chicken was nice and tender.

Okay, I finally processed my 3 month old Dark Cornish/Breese crosses and fried the dark meat on one of them and roasted its breast and wing part. I seasoned them with Kinder's black pepper, salt and garlic blend. I didn't rest the chicken for a day, I cooked them the same day I processed them. They averaged about 3 1/2 lbs. dressed and I am happy to say, "I am impressed."

I drenched the dark meat in corn starch and fried them in a wok on medium low heat for 25 minutes. The meat was tender, juicy and seasoned just right.

I brushed olive oil on the breast and wing and stuck it in my toaster oven and gave it some color with the broiler setting near the end on both sides. The skin and meat was soft and tender. Oh, what a surprise, the juices are flowing after I let it sit for 10 minutes.

This was a joyous day as I confirmed how tender young Breese crosses are fried or roasted.......................I think it was a young hen, since it was the smallest carcass.

I will do a traditional Cajun spiced fry chicken with a corn flour batter in my deep fryer tomorrow.

DSCN0599.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG

Last edited:
I did an experiment with my batter today. I used a packet of gelatin, 2 cups of water, 2 cups of flour and 2tsp garlic salt. I fried a leg, thigh and wing with this batter and the crust was extra crispy. I will try to tone it down by adding 1 cup of water, 1 cup flour and 3 eggs to this batter. I might be on to something.....................

Last edited:
I did an experiment with my batter today. I used a packet of gelatin, 2 cups of water, 2 cups of flour and 2tsp garlic salt. I fried a leg thigh and wing with this batter and the crust was extra crispy. I will try to tone it down by adding 1 cup of water, 1 cup flour and 3 eggs. I might be on to something....................

Gelatin? What does that do?

My all-purpose batter is very simple.

1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg (US large/2oz/60g)

Herbs to taste according to what you're battering.

Can substitute up to half cornmeal or use regular flour but you need to add baking powder and salt.
Can substitute beer or buttermilk but may need to adjust quantity a little.
Can add an extra egg because you're being flooded out. Add a little more flour if that makes it too thin.

I've battered chicken, fish, pork, shrimp, squash, zucchini, onion rings, and more.

I don't use milk or butter milk, because it makes the crust dark.

I tried baking powder, but I didn't like the texture. I prefer Church's Fried Chicken or Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken crust crunch.

It changed the texture of the crust.

Interesting.

I know that different starches change the texture but I didn't know adding protein would.

I know that different starches change the texture but I didn't know adding protein would.
The batter Church's Fried Chicken uses look like water, I think it has seasoned salt and gelatin, not sure. I know they flour, batter and flour before frying.

The batter Popeye uses look like flour, water and other stuff that turns it yellow. but the instant mix is white.

Last edited:
The batter Church's Fried Chicken uses looks like water, I think it has seasoned salt and gelatin, not sure. I know they flour, batter and flour before frying.

The batter Popeye uses look like flour, water and other stuff that turns it yellow.

I don't think I've ever eaten at either of those places.

Sounds interesting. I like a thinner batter that comes out crisp rather than a heavy batter that comes out doughy.

I like a thinner batter that comes out crisp rather than a heavy batter that comes out doughy.
Sometimes, I just coat the chicken pieces with corn starch and fry them until its done like in the previous picture.

I just finished frying 4 pieces of chicken to sample the adjusted gelatin batter. It has a golden color, I wonder how it will taste with the dilution and 3 eggs.? They were seasoned Cajun style with red cayenne pepper and other stuff.

The eggs gave it a buttery soft crunch, the gelatin and eggs balanced the crunch. In addition, the chicken were fully cooked with a golden color crust. I'll try taking out an egg tomorrow.

Actually, these 3 month old heritage birds are the perfect age to fry. All this time, I have been eating them stewed at 4 to 5 months old.........................

DSCN0601.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom