Has anyone ever hatched shipped goose eggs with detached air cells on there side?

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
This is my first Shipped egg hatch I do good with my own eggs but need help!
I have 8 shipped goose eggs we did everything right paid for express paid all the special handling fees had hold for pick up got there in 22 hours
Well the postal worker grabbed the box took it in here car up and down dirt roads for 4 hours accelerating , breaking then left the box sitting in my driveway in a ice storm. Found it 3 hours later.
This morning all the embryos are alive but the air cells are a giggle mess. Iv has them in a forced air incubator sitting in peat pots with pointy end down. Today is day 6 I started hand turning them and angling them a little I cant get them a hole 45% but have them at about 25% Iv never done a upright hatch before I always have had them on there sides with 24 hour rotation and 2 daily turns.
Suggestions ADVICE PlEASE........

To me it sounds as if things are going better than I would have expected. I'd keep on doing exactly what you have already been doing. Good luck for a successful hatch.

Thank you time will only tell! I think Iv read to much They did end up on there side today onece I got them tilted in the incubator the temperature couldn't substation itself equally through my incubator. So Im going to hope for air cells that stay at the top of the large end of the egg.

Wishing you better luck than I had with shipped goose eggs...two shipments, both had severely saddled air cells. USPS "helpfully" delivered one set despite my calling the local PO and asking them to hold the shipment (seller forgot to mark to hold for pickup). I incubated in a cut-down egg carton, hand turning several times a day, angling the eggs. They developed, but none actually hatched. I also found out later that the seller had hatch rates on farm of less than 30% :th, so it's difficult to tell if it was just the rough handling during shipping that was responsible, or a combination of that and some possible genetic problem that resulted in the abysmal hatch rate.

Between USPS and the fact that goose eggs are heavy and seem more prone to damage from rough handling, I'm just avoiding shipped eggs right now. Will keep my fingers crossed for yours! 🤞🤞

Wishing you better luck than I had with shipped goose eggs...two shipments, both had severely saddled air cells. USPS "helpfully" delivered one set despite my calling the local PO and asking them to hold the shipment (seller forgot to mark to hold for pickup). I incubated in a cut-down egg carton, hand turning several times a day, angling the eggs. They developed, but none actually hatched. I also found out later that the seller had hatch rates on farm of less than 30% :th, so it's difficult to tell if it was just the rough handling during shipping that was responsible, or a combination of that and some possible genetic problem that resulted in the abysmal hatch rate.

Between USPS and the fact that goose eggs are heavy and seem more prone to damage from rough handling, I'm just avoiding shipped eggs right now. Will keep my fingers crossed for yours! 🤞🤞
When in the hatch did your eggs stop developing? 6 of mine have spider veins well spread right now. One has is a lumpy embryo not veining yet and the 8th one looks like a died off embryo but will give those 2 a few more days.
This is my first time with shipped eggs
I get not wanting to get ship eggs right now USPS is a mess Iv been debating and shipping my runner eggs. The seller I got these from did a great job of packing in professional foam egg inserts I think that is why 7 of the 8 embryos did live. The eggs seem to be adjusting to the lay down on there side and gentile rotation of my incubator but only the power's to be will be able to get them in the hatcher.
any thing you can suggest i watch out for.

When in the hatch did your eggs stop developing? 6 of mine have spider veins well spread right now. One has is a lumpy embryo not veining yet and the 8th one looks like a died off embryo but will give those 2 a few more days.
This is my first time with shipped eggs
I get not wanting to get ship eggs right now USPS is a mess Iv been debating and shipping my runner eggs. The seller I got these from did a great job of packing in professional foam egg inserts I think that is why 7 of the 8 embryos did live. The eggs seem to be adjusting to the lay down on there side and gentile rotation of my incubator but only the power's to be will be able to get them in the hatcher.
any thing you can suggest i watch out for.
It looked to me like my shipped eggs quit pretty late in the game, which made it all the more disheartening. Again, your results may be much better because the breeding stock is healthier - the seller only disclosed the low hatch rates after I'd already purchased the eggs. They were well-packed and looked fine until I candled them and saw the air cell situation.

I did see what seemed like normal development right up until lockdown, but I erred on the side of caution and left any that weren't obvious clears at 2nd candling (2 weeks) in...just in case.

You sound like you know the drill, and what to look for at candling. I know some people experience great anxiety about rotten eggs exploding in their incubator, but I've only had that happen once in many hatches, and only because I took eggs a broody duck had been sitting on for too long and put them in the incubator...and one blew up overnight, of course. If I'm not absolutely sure one's a quitter, I just leave it in until the post-hatch eggtopsy.

Best to you for your incubation - hope we'll see some adorable goslings in a few weeks!

It looked to me like my shipped eggs quit pretty late in the game, which made it all the more disheartening. Again, your results may be much better because the breeding stock is healthier - the seller only disclosed the low hatch rates after I'd already purchased the eggs. They were well-packed and looked fine until I candled them and saw the air cell situation.

I did see what seemed like normal development right up until lockdown, but I erred on the side of caution and left any that weren't obvious clears at 2nd candling (2 weeks) in...just in case.

You sound like you know the drill, and what to look for at candling. I know some people experience great anxiety about rotten eggs exploding in their incubator, but I've only had that happen once in many hatches, and only because I took eggs a broody duck had been sitting on for too long and put them in the incubator...and one blew up overnight, of course. If I'm not absolutely sure one's a quitter, I just leave it in until the post-hatch eggtopsy.

Best to you for your incubation - hope we'll see some adorable goslings in a few weeks!
Its funny when you say hatch rates there are allot of folks that think that is the number that hatch after you cull your eggs. I agree good breading makes a difference. Fingers crossed. I dint end up with any saddles at this point ether may help. My hatch is in 2 different incubators one has possible culls one has veining eggs. Thank you

Its funny when you say hatch rates there are allot of folks that think that is the number that hatch after you cull your eggs. I agree good breading makes a difference. Fingers crossed. I dint end up with any saddles at this point ether may help. My hatch is in 2 different incubators one has possible culls one has veining eggs. Thank you
How did your hatching turn out? Hoping for the best!

How did your hatching turn out? Hoping for the best!
Perfect time for that question. First baby gosling hatched with no problems 2nd baby was ready to hatch but couldn't get out it was internal piped but couldn't pip its shell so I gave it and the other 2 with the bad air cells a breather hole. the 2nd one I ended up having to peal back the shell of the air pocket and it hatched normal from there. As for my 2 detached air cells they are still working on absorbing there yolks each in its own incubator wrapped in wet towels both are sticky chicks. Nether of them could get in position in fact I had a hard time finding there little beaks to expose them,. So time will tell we are on day 3 of a peal back on there shells they got there heads out this morning they are both finally trying to absorb there yolks. Im going to work this morning with them in wet towels my hope when I get home they will be ready to come out. As for the runners only one made it to hatch here name is East she piped on the wrong end. The breeder was great she reshipped me 13 eggs all are in the incubator looking perfect with embryo development.

Thought I would finish the story some happy some sad. 3 beautiful goslings are now being raised with my baby runner ducks. First born is defensibly a boy both through vent sexing and loud very loud he runs the brooder. He had no problems just a here I am Hatch. 2nd hatched also came out the same way all on her own. 3rd was assisted she had a saddled air sack and well didn't pip in the right place so she was a little shrink wrapped. Still think she wouldn't have made it if I didn't help. Here is the sad part the 3rd who had a side to side saddle air sack I also assisted. He wasnt ready to hatch not sure he ever would have been. Totaly srink wraped with out a absolved yolk I pealed him back slowly for 2 days. Keep in mind all the other baby's were together eating and doing well while this was going on. we were 3 days later. Still trying I gave him every chance. In a separate brooder I did all I could to help him try to absorb the yolk belly. He could work his legs but loved being petted he could drink or eat. Long story short I finally called it took his heat away and placed 2 bags of Ices close to his body so he could let go. He finally went to sleep. So sad geese have a drive to survive and I had a hard time calling it. I think the next time I see a badly saddled egg I will call it before the hatch. this baby's saddles turned into 1/2 of the egg as a air cell.

Back
Top Bottom