Guys? Confusion? 🤔

This isn't related to my whites but I'll ask her anyways-
I hatched my first chick from my Red frizzle hen who's in with a calico rooster who's really dark.
What is this chick, will they all look like this?
View attachment 3768877View attachment 3768878
View attachment 3768879
Here's the parents:
View attachment 3768882
View attachment 3768883
Probably all chicks from that pair will look about the same as the one you are holding.

I think it will grow up to be red, but with some black in the tail and hackles (not as much black as the father has, but more than the mother has.)

The white speckles on the father are caused by the mottling gene, which is recessive. All of his chicks will inherit that gene from him, but they will not show the speckles unless they inherit mottling from their mother too. We don't know for sure if the mother carries one copy of the mottling gene or not. We can tell by looking that she does not have two copies of it (because she would show white speckles if she did.) So either no chicks will show mottling (if the mother does not carry it) or half of chicks will show mottling (if the mother does carry that gene.)

Probably all chicks from that pair will look about the same as the one you are holding.

I think it will grow up to be red, but with some black in the tail and hackles (not as much black as the father has, but more than the mother has.)

The white speckles on the father are caused by the mottling gene, which is recessive. All of his chicks will inherit that gene from him, but they will not show the speckles unless they inherit mottling from their mother too. We don't know for sure if the mother carries one copy of the mottling gene or not. We can tell by looking that she does not have two copies of it (because she would show white speckles if she did.) So either no chicks will show mottling (if the mother does not carry it) or half of chicks will show mottling (if the mother does carry that gene.)
Would the chicks be split for mottling then? 🤔If I put any hens with the roo would mottling show up?

Would the chicks be split for mottling then? 🤔If I put any hens with the roo would mottling show up?
Yes, the chicks should be split for mottling.

If you want visible mottling (chicks with two copies of the gene), use that rooster with a hen that also shows mottling (100% of chicks will show mottling), or use him with a hen that is split for mottling (50% of chicks will show mottling, 50% will be split.)

In general more is better, but the 18 you have will be much more useful than a smaller number. (Much better than just 2 or 3 would be!)
Would a white chick with black very few black spots be a white with leakage chick?
My last egg from the white frizzle girl that passed hatched a few hours ago and now that it's fluffed it's got some black smudges.
I'd assume it'd be similar to it's father with the random black feathers under the white.
17101993707501833358311229278090.jpg

Would a white chick with black very few black spots be a white with leakage chick?
Probably yes.

My last egg from the white frizzle girl that passed hatched a few hours ago and now that it's fluffed it's got some black smudges.
I'd assume it'd be similar to it's father with the random black feathers under the white.
That is what I would expect. But I'll be curious to see how it looks as it grows, since we've already seen some unexpected things from this set of matings :)

View attachment 3769635
Yes, this looks like a paint (half dominant white) chick

New discovery on my "white" frizzle, he's start growing in red feathers on his chest and shoulder areas- (Which has me believe he's a boy even more than before.) But where's this red coming from now? 🤔
And i don't have his mom to do more hatching with either.. unless the other hens will produce this too.
IMG_20240318_162601230~2.jpg
IMG_20240318_162639149.jpg
IMG_20240318_162513582.jpg

-
And the chick we thought was a splash that started looking barred looks even more barred than before.. :confused: .
IMG_20240318_163041900.jpg
IMG_20240318_163011302.jpg
IMG_20240318_162941654.jpg
IMG_20240318_162904927.jpg

New discovery on my "white" frizzle, he's start growing in red feathers on his chest and shoulder areas- (Which has me believe he's a boy even more than before.) But where's this red coming from now? 🤔
And i don't have his mom to do more hatching with either.. unless the other hens will produce this too.
View attachment 3775480View attachment 3775481View attachment 3775482
-
And the chick we thought was a splash that started looking barred looks even more barred than before.. :confused: .
View attachment 3775483View attachment 3775484View attachment 3775485View attachment 3775486
Those chicks are definitely puzzling.
I don't immediately know what to say, but I'm definitely watching with interest as they develop.

View attachment 3775480View attachment 3775481View attachment 3775482
-
View attachment 3775483View attachment 3775484View attachment 3775485View attachment 3775486
Jeeeeeeze!
Let me get back to you tomorrow, I need to do some thinking. It seems we have to think about the E locus now, and Co/co too because of the red. Is it just the frizzle’s chicks that aren’t solid Blue, Black, White or Splash?

Jeeeeeeze!
Let me get back to you tomorrow, I need to do some thinking. It seems we have to think about the E locus now, and Co/co too because of the red. Is it just the frizzle’s chicks that aren’t solid Blue, Black, White or Splash?
I only hatched 3 off her- the blue as y'all know, then we've got this one which i was thought was going to be all white, and her last was the white I pictured previously with the black spots.
The barred looking one came off one of my other hens, not sure who- And the rest I've hatched appear to be very white, they even lack yellow at hatch- but I'm having trouble keeping those alive passed 1 week so until that happens i won't know if they'll feather in other random colors.

Back
Top Bottom