Guys? Confusion? 🤔

Pics
Sorry if I’ve missed something but where has mauve and chocolate come into the conversation? Is it theoretical or do you have some chocolate chicks?

Posts number 43 and 45 OP was asking about breeding these Blue and Splash chicks to the Chocolate chicks they have growing out. 🙂

Sorry if I’ve missed something but where has mauve and chocolate come into the conversation? Is it theoretical or do you have some chocolate chicks?
I got chocolate cochin babies the other day and plan on breeding them- So i was wondering if the splash and blue chicks I'm getting from the whites could be used the same way lol.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo @BlueTheBrahma
Guys...
What is happening..? 🤔
It's getting wild over here.
So, that "splash" chick from before is feathering really dark and it may very well just be shades of blue resembling it but-
Is this barred or cuckoo that I'm seeing now? I don't know how that'd be, there's no dot on the head or what now, and the chicks down is way too light for that from my understanding- But it seriously looks that way to me.
Here they are:
IMG_20240309_090810000.jpg
IMG_20240309_090641119.jpg
IMG_20240309_090653777.jpg
IMG_20240309_090723509.jpg

Tell me y'all see what I see-
-
Another thing related to this, a friend hatched a dozen eggs from my white cochins, all hatched-
9 were the color of the chick I'm questioning (which we thought was splash, and maybe it still is, but I'm unsure at this point. ) and the other 3 were white.
I'm curious why there hasn't been any more blue and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the frizzle hen I had was the only one hiding blue, maybe the others are only hiding splash. (Or more at this point.)
And you'd think majority would be white but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Here's a small portion of what she got- (Not including the red looking one )
Screenshot_20240309-092035.png

@pipdzipdnreadytogo @BlueTheBrahma
Guys...
What is happening..? 🤔
It's getting wild over here.
So, that "splash" chick from before is feathering really dark and it may very well just be shades of blue resembling it but-
Is this barred or cuckoo that I'm seeing now? I don't know how that'd be, there's no dot on the head or what now, and the chicks down is way too light for that from my understanding- But it seriously looks that way to me.
Here they are:
View attachment 3767603View attachment 3767602View attachment 3767601View attachment 3767600
Tell me y'all see what I see-
-
Another thing related to this, a friend hatched a dozen eggs from my white cochins, all hatched-
9 were the color of the chick I'm questioning (which we thought was splash, and maybe it still is, but I'm unsure at this point. ) and the other 3 were white.
I'm curious why there hasn't been any more blue and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the frizzle hen I had was the only one hiding blue, maybe the others are only hiding splash. (Or more at this point.)
And you'd think majority would be white but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Here's a small portion of what she got- (Not including the red looking one )
View attachment 3767604
Definitely confusing.

At this point, I'm inclined to wait for them to feather out before guessing any more. It is good to have the photos to show what they look like at various ages, so then we can put all the clues together and (hopefully) figure out what is really going on.

Yes, I do agree that the one looks like it has barring, although I have seen some other colors/patterns of chickens that could look like that in the early stages. Since I've been fooled before, that's another one where I'm inclined to wait and see what it looks like as it continues feathering out.

Definitely confusing.

At this point, I'm inclined to wait for them to feather out before guessing any more. It is good to have the photos to show what they look like at various ages, so then we can put all the clues together and (hopefully) figure out what is really going on.

Yes, I do agree that the one looks like it has barring, although I have seen some other colors/patterns of chickens that could look like that in the early stages. Since I've been fooled before, that's another one where I'm inclined to wait and see what it looks like as it continues feathering out.
There will definitely be updates. 👍🏼.
Also 2 white cochin chicks just hatched- And both are white, there will be more soon.
(I'm determined to figure all this out, and until I do I'll be hatching from these guys a lot.) It's actually kind of exciting as I don't know what I'm gunna get anymore out of these eggs.

Definitely confusing.

Agreed with all of this (especially the first line!!). I think we've reached the point where the chick down and early feathering just isn't enough clues and we'll just have to wait to see how they feather in to try and figure out what's going on with them. 🤔

Agreed with all of this (especially the first line!!). I think we've reached the point where the chick down and early feathering just isn't enough clues and we'll just have to wait to see how they feather in to try and figure out what's going on with them. 🤔
Well we know for sure blue can show up- the very first chick that started this thread is still all blue- it's also giving me cockerel vibes now. 🤷🏽‍♀️
17100079022777143015264652334402.jpg

17100077436261086162267378849187.jpg

What a cutie! :love I do see why you're catching those vibes... But by my count the little one is about 10 weeks old? I would expect a Cochin cockerel to be a lot more developed by this age, so I'd lean toward pullet at the moment... but advise you to give it a bit more time to be sure. 🙂

What a cutie! :love I do see why you're catching those vibes... But by my count the little one is about 10 weeks old? I would expect a Cochin cockerel to be a lot more developed by this age, so I'd lean toward pullet at the moment... but advise you to give it a bit more time to be sure. 🙂
10 weeks old is a little too old haha- Little thing is just over 6 weeks.
-
I do hope it's a little pullet though, those chocolates i plan on putting it with in the future are about the same age and I'm positive at least 2 are boys out of the 4.

Back
Top Bottom