Guessing the sex and the backstory first…

electrycmonk

_This space intentionally left blank_
Aug 8, 2019
Happily caught in the 'Denton vortex', Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Okay so here’s goes. Y’all know we had Freez-covid-maggeden here in Texas…. Well, after that storm in the local “rants & raves” group in FB-land there was a mystery chicken that showed up at a major intersection. The acknowledgment that seems to be agreed upon from all the locals- someone’s coop & run was blown open after an early spring storm and the chickens mostly escaped. This is supposedly one of them that has yet to be caught.

there were at least 2 ladies (and their kids) who had failed miserably at attempting to catch this chicken back in March & April. At that point the consensus was it’s a rooster.

I’ll provide a few pics for background…..
A895296A-431B-47EF-AFB6-334B44E90E97.jpeg

C6B7F185-D902-4D34-A5E3-8240B02847C1.jpeg
Usual distance pics:

090AC387-8FF1-42CE-9E14-F22B4586EBA8.jpeg
I always saw it while driving by on US380 at 50+mph (given that’s the speed limit at the light). Now here we have a serious close up from my 24 y/o sons phone yesterday…. He thinks it’s a hen.
671C634C-54CB-4C92-AD03-EF00BD5776AF.jpeg

what do y’all think?

anyone suggest I try to take some dog crate, small dog fencing… the 24 y/o & try to catch her (if it is a her) at this point?

[ETA: one more thing (begins to giggle) ] anyone wanna theorize what breed OR the Genetic history aside from a “barnyard mix”? I’m totally clueless here.

Okay so here’s goes. Y’all know we had Freez-covid-maggeden here in Texas…. Well, after that storm in the local “rants & raves” group in FB-land there was a mystery chicken that showed up at a major intersection. The acknowledgment that seems to be agreed upon from all the locals- someone’s coop & run was blown open after an early spring storm and the chickens mostly escaped. This is supposedly one of them that has yet to be caught.

there were at least 2 ladies (and their kids) who had failed miserably at attempting to catch this chicken back in March & April. At that point the consensus was it’s a rooster.

View attachment 2815578
Usual distance pics:

View attachment 2815579
I always saw it while driving by on US380 at 50+mph (given that’s the speed limit at the light). Now here we have a serious close up from my 24 y/o sons phone yesterday…. He thinks it’s a hen.
View attachment 2815580

what do y’all think?

anyone suggest I try to take some dog crate, small dog fencing… the 24 y/o & try to catch her (if it is a her) at this point?

[ETA: one more thing (begins to giggle) ] anyone wanna theorize what breed OR the Genetic history aside from a “barnyard mix”? I’m totally clueless here.
What a story!
Hard to tell with certainty, but pretty sure I see male saddle feathers. 😊

View attachment 2815578
Usual distance pics:

View attachment 2815579
View attachment 2815580

what do y’all think?

I see hackles, but not male saddles. Those legs are quite thin? But better pictures would definitely help...I know its hard, but a digital camera would do the trick.

View attachment 2815578
Usual distance pics:

View attachment 2815579
View attachment 2815580

what do y’all think?

IF she is a black sexlink like Odd said, then, she is a really skinny one. Probably due to lack of water and food. She won't make it very long out there. Mainly because of food, water, heat, cars, and predators. If you want to save her, its better to do it quick.

I see hackles, but not male saddles. Those legs are quite thin? But better pictures would definitely help...I know its hard, but a digital camera would do the trick.
His digital camera phone is less than 6 months old iirc and it’s likely the latest Samsung again for him….. so the blur is likely because the drivers door window needs a serious cleaning (grumbles to self “like the rest of the car”)…

That is a female. No idea why people can’t see that. She’s a black Sexlink. I recommend trying to rescue her before she gets hit.
Okay so can you share a really nice pic (yours or from the web) that I can “see” from your POV please? That way I can better grasp the what & the why….

Back
Top Bottom