Growing Grass in the Run

Impossible you say, the chickens will eat it before it grows.

Not if you put a grass sized greenhouse over it.

I was messing around trying to keep moisture in some new grass I was growing on a tray and put an old tubby over the grass... when I moved it to the chicken yard I just put the cover back over it. Now I have some more areas started right in the chicken yard. Picked up some low tubbies from wally to start some new grass.

JT
That's a great idea! I'm definitely going to do that when weather permits. I might just start a tub of grass indoors so they an enjoy fresh grass in the winter time.

I have another way so that my chickens can eat the grass but not completely kill it. I call it a grass box (really creative name, huh?). I just mailed long process of 2x4s together, then put wire over it. Then I planted grass underneath. Once it grew up through the wire, my chickens walked in top of the wire and ate the tops, but the wire stopped them from killing it.View attachment 1174224 View attachment 1174225
Something really funny about this is that my chickens got smart with it. They would all get in a small circle to make the wire sag down, which made the tips of grass longer so that they could eat more.

Run this IDEA . It is not mine in origin BTW. Plant whatever. Grass/fodder/herbs/etc. Cover with a frame made of 2 x 4 wood. On top of frame, staple 1/2 inch or slightly larger hardware cloth. When greens grow thru the screened protection, chickens consume the plants. They do not finish off the plant by eating roots and all. Scratching is also prevented from destroying the plant as well.

Have to watch chickens feet with the hardward cloth. They can get a toe caught in there and get injured. Also bumblefoot possible.

I planted this grass seed on 10/30 and took a photo today of the grass. I'm convinced the greenhouse tubbies make a huge difference this time of year.
Day 1
chicken-grass-3.jpg

Today 18 days later 2-3" tall
chicken-grass-4.jpg

JT

Well my green house flopped. The seeds rotted and didn’t grow... I did build a second screen and set them both in the outer run today. I let the flock out there for the first time in a month... they loved the space! Next summer I’m buliding 2 more outer runs so we can rotate where they graze. For now here are a few testing testing new grates....

Attachments

• 91FA708B-EB2A-470C-B398-B2E47B2832D6.jpeg
    91FA708B-EB2A-470C-B398-B2E47B2832D6.jpeg
    914.1 KB · Views: 17
  • C32DEA45-4182-4C62-9130-114E17FEAF78.jpeg
    C32DEA45-4182-4C62-9130-114E17FEAF78.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 19
Screens are looking good. I'm guessing the spot was a bit to moist to cause the seeds to rot. One thing for sure is we all have to improvise, adapt and overcome. I tried to get some grass seed to sprout by soaking it for a few days and it has done nothing.

JT

I've changed my design on the grass box and the location I'll have them. Now they are 12" inside (room to insert a pocket screw) and 48" x 15" outside with a middle 2x4 for the edges of the HC to be stapled to. I've also changed them to run parallel with the fence. With the smaller area the HC won't sag as much as the larger 2' x 4' box. What fun they pullets will have eating the grass down to the ground when I replace the ones that are perpendicular to the fence with the new narrow grass boxes.

grass-box-1.jpg

JT

I've changed my design on the grass box and the location I'll have them. Now they are 12" inside (room to insert a pocket screw) and 48" x 15" outside with a middle 2x4 for the edges of the HC to be stapled to. I've also changed them to run parallel with the fence. With the smaller area the HC won't sag as much as the larger 2' x 4' box. What fun they pullets will have eating the grass down to the ground when I replace the ones that are perpendicular to the fence with the new narrow grass boxes. JT

Looks good, JT! I just got a line on something I didn't even know existed: vinyl-coated hardware cloth. I'm hoping it'll last a little longer and, in the even they step on it, it should be much nicer to their feet. Luckily I found a local energy contractor that just scraps piles of the stuff.

I'm also going to try to make some larger frames: maybe 4' x 8' (with cross members to support the HW cloth, then maybe lay some 6" boards across it once the cover is established so the chickens can forage from the middle a little bit and not just the perimeter?

Back
Top Bottom