Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmas Coop

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Can they have a touch of grit???
hmm.png

Oh thank you, I let each one have 4 or 5 grains and that's all for now. Thank you for the link
highfive.gif

I really don't give mine food scraps. I give that to the hens if I have it. I guess for a treat for the chicks, I mix a bit of water with their crumbles and give them like a warm cereal. They love it. I also put a bit of alfalfa hay in so the can scratch around and have something else to do.

When can you start feeding them food, not just pellets?
I brood as close to naturally as possible....a hen takes her brood out to forage for grit and natural food items in the first week. I introduce the same experiences at the same time. The increased activity promotes good gut motility, coupled with a natural day/night cycle and more natural heating I see almost no pasting (maybe 1 chick a year out of several batches raised) and incredible vigor.

I brood as close to naturally as possible....a hen takes her brood out to forage for grit and natural food items in the first week. I introduce the same experiences at the same time. The increased activity promotes good gut motility, coupled with a natural day/night cycle and more natural heating I see almost no pasting (maybe 1 chick a year out of several batches raised) and incredible vigor.
Same here, I introduce the new chicks to the coop and older hens on week 2.
I give them a week to adjust from shipping, make sure they are all healthy.
IMG_1039.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom