Gosling with a Hernia or Prolapse???

crminifarm

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
We ordered Dewlap Toulouse Goslings and they arrived today and 1 of the buff goslings has this little prolapse... it's eating, drinking and moving like all the others. Should we be worried??? Is there anything that can be done??? Will it affect it long term??? The breeder said it may correct itself since the bird is eating now. Any help is appreciated.
20210428_093715.jpg

That looks like a bit of an umbilical hernia (unabsorbed yolk) to me - a prolapse would be at the vent, higher up. I like to put antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on those bumps to ensure they don't become infected. What I've typically seen happen to them is that eventually they turn black, fall off, and the hatchling is none the wiser.

Best of luck!

That looks like a bit of an umbilical hernia (unabsorbed yolk) to me - a prolapse would be at the vent, higher up. I like to put antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on those bumps to ensure they don't become infected. What I've typically seen happen to them is that eventually they turn black, fall off, and the hatchling is none the wiser.

Best of luck!
What kind of antibiotic? I have a gosling with the same issue? Is it better just kept clean and the black part will fall off?

What kind of antibiotic? I have a gosling with the same issue? Is it better just kept clean and the black part will fall off?
It will eventually fall off I wouldn't go with antibiotics. When they hatch to quickly or from a small egg some have a yolk belly. Given time and humidity they usually pull it in. when shipped they dont get that special time. will probably fall off.

Back
Top Bottom