Goose seems fussy

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Wanted anyone’s take on my 1year old adult goose. I’ve been watching her to make sure she eats and she does eat and drink but is not as excited to eat her feed when I put the flock up for the night. And she’s fussy after she gets in the coop. I’ll hang around to see if I can quiet her by talking to them and she’s attentive but still honking like she’s trying to tell me something. I just don’t know what. She doesn’t appear hurt or uncomfortable physically. The other little thing I noticed is she does that little head shake as if she’s trying to clear the cobwebs and it doesn’t appear constant. But I only notice it when she’s in coop in the evening, not out in the run. Now I know that could be a sign of respiratory illness because I had to treat my other 2 young geese about a month and half ago. I’m hoping this is not the case.
Any thoughts on what is going on with her? Maybe her behavior is normal?

Wanted anyone’s take on my 1year old adult goose. I’ve been watching her to make sure she eats and she does eat and drink but is not as excited to eat her feed when I put the flock up for the night. And she’s fussy after she gets in the coop. I’ll hang around to see if I can quiet her by talking to them and she’s attentive but still honking like she’s trying to tell me something. I just don’t know what. She doesn’t appear hurt or uncomfortable physically. The other little thing I noticed is she does that little head shake as if she’s trying to clear the cobwebs and it doesn’t appear constant. But I only notice it when she’s in coop in the evening, not out in the run. Now I know that could be a sign of respiratory illness because I had to treat my other 2 young geese about a month and half ago. I’m hoping this is not the case.
since the other 2 had a respiratory illness and were treated but this goose was not treated I would also suspect it's the same thing and go ahead and treat her too now. Are her droppings normal?

since the other 2 had a respiratory illness and were treated but this goose was not treated I would also suspect it's the same thing and go ahead and treat her too now. Are her droppings normal?
It’s hard to say about her droppings. Would have to follow and watch for it. The birds were not together at the time of the other’s respiratory treatment. I can go ahead and treat this one but it was meds from the vet. Is there something else I can get over counter that everyone uses for this type of thing?

It’s hard to say about her droppings. Would have to follow and watch for it. The birds were not together at the time of the other’s respiratory treatment. I can go ahead and treat this one but it was meds from the vet. Is there something else I can get over counter that everyone uses for this type of thing?
that is an excellent question , I would like to know that myself. All I can think of is the vet-rx stuff. What was the diagnosis from the vet re the other 2 geese ?

that is an excellent question , I would like to know that myself. All I can think of is the vet-rx stuff. What was the diagnosis from the vet re the other 2 geese ?
I was not impressed and was disappointed in that vet I eventually took them to. They said they see avians but I don’t think they were as experienced with birds like they claimed to be. The vet said they had some sort of respiratory infection and that she could give me antibiotics for them. Could’ve done a deeper look diagnostic aka X-rays etc but would’ve cost me a fortune(about $1000)
I opted out of that. Fortunately the 2 prescribed meds seemed to work (took about a week on treatment).
She also said one had Bumblefoot which took me by surprise. Just didn’t see it-even inquired on BYC what everyone thought-posted pictures. Responses were positive-members said her feet looked good. So I’ve been on guard about that as well.

I was not impressed and was disappointed in that vet I eventually took them to. They said they see avians but I don’t think they were as experienced with birds like they claimed to be. The vet said they had some sort of respiratory infection and that she could give me antibiotics for them. Could’ve done a deeper look diagnostic aka X-rays etc but would’ve cost me a fortune(about $1000)
I opted out of that. Fortunately the 2 prescribed meds seemed to work (took about a week on treatment).
She also said one had Bumblefoot which took me by surprise. Just didn’t see it-even inquired on BYC what everyone thought-posted pictures. Responses were positive-members said her feet looked good. So I’ve been on guard about that as well.
wow that is a terrible vet! "some kind" of respiratory illness, wow. well there's this thread that i have bookmarked https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-ducks-no-prescription-needed.1022278/page-2 maybe there is something in there...

Without seeing the bird in question and observing her, I'm not sure any of us could make a definitive guess as to her behavior. Is she alone? It's possible that being fussy is because she wants to be with the other geese.

Without seeing the bird in question and observing her, I'm not sure any of us could make a definitive guess as to her behavior. Is she alone? It's possible that being fussy is because she wants to be with the other geese.
Ok thank you.
No she is not alone. In constant company of 6 ducks and 2 young geese. Would a video help if I can manage it?

Back
Top Bottom