Going to Ohio Nationals today! Anyone else?

Wish I was closer! I would have loved to go and see all the birds and meet fellow chicken lovers!!

Have you happened to watch "Chicken People" documentary? It follows several different people preparing for the show. Very cool to watch!

Wish I was closer! I would have loved to go and see all the birds and meet fellow chicken lovers!!

Have you happened to watch "Chicken People" documentary? It follows several different people preparing for the show. Very cool to watch!
No, hadn’t heard of the documentary. Where to access it?

I went. Having gone I don’t plan to go back. It was interesting to see all the birds, but it’s a 7 hour drive. Once I get there what is there to do but walk the aisles for a few hours? There are no events as far as I could tell so no opportunities to socialize or learn.
I was expecting to buy some ducks from an exhibitor but he wrote down my request wrong so no ducks. That and the fact that there was no signage to find the show put me in a pretty deflated mood, and I was also tired from early start and long drive to make my appointment to pickup the ducks. I wanted to talk with P Allen Smith to see if he had non-exhibition Aylesbury but he was mobbed, so gave up on that too. You get the picture? That was the least fun thing I’ve done in a really long time! What am I missing?

I went. Having gone I don’t plan to go back. It was interesting to see all the birds, but it’s a 7 hour drive. Once I get there what is there to do but walk the aisles for a few hours? There are no events as far as I could tell so no opportunities to socialize or learn.
I was expecting to buy some ducks from an exhibitor but he wrote down my request wrong so no ducks. That and the fact that there was no signage to find the show put me in a pretty deflated mood, and I was also tired from early start and long drive to make my appointment to pickup the ducks. I wanted to talk with P Allen Smith to see if he had non-exhibition Aylesbury but he was mobbed, so gave up on that too. You get the picture? That was the least fun thing I’ve done in a really long time! What am I missing?

I too think there is a missed opportunity to hold informational session, learning events, etc. the missed ducks probably colors your whole perception too-that is a huge frustration!

Regarding signage, I knew exactly where to go .... but, this is only bc the website didn’t have a ton of info, so I went to the fb page. On the fb page they had a pic of the map showing where to go and where to enter, etc. bc I tend to research things greatly, I knew there had to be details somewhere and I found them, but it should have been easier to find. they also pointed you to another fb page for pre-show sales (pick up at show).

the value for us was in the experience and learning that comes from having breeds from serious breeders all together and side by side. I would have loved for that to include sessions or other experiences.

Another aspect of chicken shows, now that I’ve been to two shows this fall, is that there are venders with tons of items -leg bands, wing bands, medicine, incubators, etc. so, much opportunity to see/touch/decide on items and talk to people that are knowledgeable about the items and options, and them to walk away with the items you need. I saw some very good deals.

Lastly, there were breeders clubs present. Many had breeder pairs up for silent auction. The Marans club had sets of three eggs each from various Marsns birds, showing the variations in darkness of the color. But, all breeders clubs had representatives there, perfect for asking questions!

some vendors of chicken themed merchandise, always fun. Another vendor had vintage poultry themed items...old wall pics, ceramic items, etc -all fun to look at!

overall a good show, but there was definite room for improvement!!

I do appreciate that a local club put this show on. I’m sure it is a ton of work! My breeds of interest tend to be less popular (critical status, heritage) and if there is a club I didn’t see it. I did stop by the SPPA booth but that was it for me in that hall. I did take a peek at vendor tables but need to save $ as the only way I can get my ducks until next year is to pay for x-country shipping of the last ducks in the US that the last NPIP breeder will have ( looked up new shipping costs and nearly fainted).
BYC folks should plan a tailgate or something for next year. Plenty of parking lot space

I looked at the Ohio National website which confidently stated there would be signage. I had assumed it would have much higher attendance with lines of cars trying to get in. And I was on their FB page but missed directions. Even my Google maps wasn’t showing O’Neil building. Finding football parking WAS easy. Maybe I should have gone to the game! I’d been there for the QH Congress years ago but I did drive overnight to make a pit stop to check out team penning and reining, and that was a blast, before continuing north so had zero recollection of the setup. Tons of shopping opportunities too. I expect Equine Affair is very similar. I guess the poultry world is much more sedate?

Back
Top Bottom