Giant Silkies

Suzmanville

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
Years past I worked to generation 6 a hybrid project utilizing mainly XL heritage lines of Blue Orpingtons X Blue Silkies to produce giant Silkies. Well I’m getting chickens again, itching to get Silkies, but would LOVE to pick up chicks from anyone doing a similar “sizing up” project. Thank you 😊

Years past I worked to generation 6 a hybrid project utilizing mainly XL heritage lines of Blue Orpingtons X Blue Silkies to produce giant Silkies. Well I’m getting chickens again, itching to get Silkies, but would LOVE to pick up chicks from anyone doing a similar “sizing up” project. Thank you 😊
I recommend getting Brahmas, & Malays for sizing. Also, get the Silkies from TSC, they're usually the LF Chinese Silkies which would be more useful then getting bantam Silkies from a breeder.

Of the many peojects that have come to my mind is this and you seem to have done it right. Orpington and Cochin are about the best breeds. I believe Brahma are too tall and not round enough

I wonder if after so many generations, if the crosses would be big enough to cross to a jersey giant? And then of course breed back to solidify the silkie gene. Imagine knee high silkies! So much fluff!

I wonder if after so many generations, if the crosses would be big enough to cross to a jersey giant? And then of course breed back to solidify the silkie gene. Imagine knee high silkies! So much fluff!
I've got a Giant Silkie project thread, & it doesn't include Jersey Giant.

Oh interesting, what breeds are you crossing to the silkies to get the desired large body type? The Jersey Giant was just an idea. It’s not a project I know much about.
I used Brahma in my first F1 cross. My F2 is Silkie/Brahma/Silkie.
F2, Giant Silkie back crossing.
20230517_122820.jpg

Any luck finding some giants?

Back
Top Bottom