Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The kids currently have Filipino passports. Once they become US citizens they will be dual citizens/passport holders. They will be American's in every sense of the word save being able to run for President.

They can also qualify for Australian Passports. I will also apply for these once the US process is over.

They will be then citizens of three countries.

Unfortunately, my Grandfather relinquished his Italian citizenship before my father was born, otherwise we would all have European passports as well.

The advantage of multi-citizenship is that its easy to live and work in so many countries. It also makes getting visas easy for travel and many countries (except USA) have reciprocal benefits for citizens - an Australian can get universal healthcare in many countries (I broke my arm in Italy and the total bill as $7)

The world is becoming a smaller place. Great opportunities exist for those who can take advantage of multi-citizenship and I want our kids to have as many chances as they can. This may seem crazy to those content with living in one place (and if people do, more power to them).

My Dutch passport has expired (bad me.. ), but as long as I renew it before I become an American citizen I can have dual citizenship. That means my kids can claim Dutch citizenship if they wish to do so (or I can get a passport for them before they turn 18). While there are benefits, on the same note there is a lot of cost, atleast to lil broke me. Coughing up a couple hundred per kid is harder these days. I will have to decide soon, as I plan to become a citizen before 2019.. And they are closing the consulate in Atlanta, which means we would all have to go to Florida instead. Road trips are not as much fun with little kids.. especially if they do not enjoy traveling.

The Dutch government will send me 2% of total retirement amount for every year I lived in the Netherlands past the age of 15, after the age of 65. If my kids live in the NEtherlands for atleast a year they can go to college there and get financial aid from the government (a whole lot cheaper than the US). It feels kinda wrong, considering I left at 22. But at the same time I dont want to deny them their rights.

Oh, by the way, Thomas got diagnosed with autism last week (finally).. Mr.doesn't-like-to-travel.

My Dutch passport has expired (bad me.. ), but as long as I renew it before I become an American citizen I can have dual citizenship. That means my kids can claim Dutch citizenship if they wish to do so (or I can get a passport for them before they turn 18). While there are benefits, on the same note there is a lot of cost, atleast to lil broke me. Coughing up a couple hundred per kid is harder these days. I will have to decide soon, as I plan to become a citizen before 2019.. And they are closing the consulate in Atlanta, which means we would all have to go to Florida instead. Road trips are not as much fun with little kids.. especially if they do not enjoy traveling.

The Dutch government will send me 2% of total retirement amount for every year I lived in the Netherlands past the age of 15, after the age of 65. If my kids live in the NEtherlands for atleast a year they can go to college there and get financial aid from the government (a whole lot cheaper than the US). It feels kinda wrong, considering I left at 22. But at the same time I dont want to deny them their rights.

Oh, by the way, Thomas got diagnosed with autism last week (finally).. Mr.doesn't-like-to-travel.
its hard to find money for all of us but you have 3 years to save

On the immigration front, I'm having some issues of my own. Turns out that our city hall forgot to send information in our file stating we don't pay rent, food, petrol, car insurance, or income taxes (since we technically live with his parents and the taxes are handled by his employer) and Brussels denied my immigration request. Husband apparently doesn't make enough to support two.

Luckily I have a valid US passport and really good lawyers who are fighting the deportment request AND trying to reverse the decision. Have any of you had a similar issue?

Last edited:
On the immigration front, I'm having some issues of my own. Turns out that our city hall forgot to send information in our file stating we don't pay rent, food, petrol, car insurance, or income taxes (since we technically live with his parents and the taxes are handled by his employer) and Brussels denied my immigration request. Husband apparently doesn't make enough to support two.

Luckily I have a valid US passport and really good lawyers who are fighting the deportment request AND trying to reverse the decision. Have any of you had a similar issue?

No, but I wish you the best of luck - that has to be stressful!

Back
Top Bottom