Getting Stains off Show d'Uccle

LavvyTaffy

In Too Deep...
7 Years
Mar 13, 2017
Genesee County, NY
Hey all, a few weeks ago my Porcelain d'Uccle got herself in a sticky situation. She flew into a fly strip. Okay I'll give her a quick bath and it'll be gone, right? Wrong. After rubbing it with vegetable oil (which turned out to be a mistake, thanks google), washing with dawn, and rinsing it turned into a strange stain of sorts.
2019-07-29.jpg

This is better compared to what it looked like...
This was taken after:
1. Re-washing with Dawn.
2. Trying Goo Gone.
3. 'Natural' Homemade solution. (Lemon essential oils, baking soda, and acv.) That worked a little bit.
4. And finally, Alcohol pads which I had the best progress with. But only after an hour of scrubbing.

I need help, it's >2 weeks till fair and she's my prettiest bird.
Best way to get rid of this?
Thanks in advance.

I cannot imagine that slightly stained colored feathers are going to hurt the poor bird in any way shape or form, and the bird certainly doesn't give to whits about it, why keep torturing the poor creature?

I am going to guess the look bothers you? Personally I wouldn't put any kind of chemical on the bird, the color will eventually disappear with the natural loss and replacement of feathers. Who cares what the bird looks like as long as it is healthy happy.

I cannot imagine that slightly stained colored feathers are going to hurt the poor bird in any way shape or form, and the bird certainly doesn't give to whits about it, why keep torturing the poor creature?

I am going to guess the look bothers you? Personally I wouldn't put any kind of chemical on the bird, the color will eventually disappear with the natural loss and replacement of feathers. Who cares what the bird looks like as long as it is healthy happy.
Believe me. My birds are my top priority, I always put their wellbeing over mine. I love these birds more than members of my own family. I don't torture them in any way. I always make sure their comfortable before I start washing, and give them some treats while I'm washing them to keep them calm.

And personally, I don't give two rat butts about how it looks. But the judges will, I already sent in her form and it's too late to back out. If this were any other time of year I would let the feathers replace themselves. And I'm trying to not put chemicals on her, trying to find natural alternatives. But sometimes natural doesn't work, I always rinse her off well after each bath.

On my light colored birds I used Tide bleach.
I fill the cap up to the first mark then mix it into a tub of water (warm of course). If the stain doesnt come out with just scrubbing with my hands, I put some of the bleach on a toothbrush and scrub fairly hard, nothard enough to hurt the bird but just enough that the stain comes out.
I started doing this a couple years ago and it works really well.
8653d1de-6027-4d88-8af2-e277fda8f1eb_1.c7470ff7b2bd860512aefe83c4ef21e9.jpeg.jpg

ETA:
I also use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
81yqrLCQ1sL._SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom