Gap under fence, will they escape?

EastCoastChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Nova Scotia
I'm currently designing my outside enclosure that will be all 1/2 inch hardware cloth. However we do have a large fenced yard we would like them to possibly free range in when we are home. The bottom fence boards are elevated about 6-8 inches off the ground, is this something I should cover with poultry wire so they don't escape? Just how curious are they and will they find escape holes? How short of a space will they get under?

I'm currently designing my outside enclosure that will be all 1/2 inch hardware cloth. However we do have a large fenced yard we would like them to possibly free range in when we are home. The bottom fence boards are elevated about 6-8 inches off the ground, is this something I should cover with poultry wire so they don't escape? Just how curious are they and will they find escape holes? How short of a space will they get under?
That will be an easy gap to go through and, yes, they will.
I keep all the gaps under my fence to less than 2 inches.
How tall is your fence? Four feet is easy for most chickens. Mediterranean types can easily clear over 6 feet.

That will be an easy gap to go through and, yes, they will.
I keep all the gaps under my fence to less than 2 inches.
How tall is your fence? Four feet is easy for most chickens. Mediterranean types can easily clear over 6 feet.
Thank you! I'll definitely be putting some poultry net under it then haha. Our fence is 4 1/2 ft. tall and its a pretty large yard. If they flew out its not a big deal as we own about 1/2 and acre and the neighbour houses are far enough away. I just worry that they need to get back in if they wander to far. I'm hoping to keep them in the enclosure for a month or so and to slowly train them to stick around us if possible.

Back
Top Bottom