Ganders & Roosters

All of my birds free-range together. I have lots of ganders, and usually have 1-2 roosters (currently have 3). My roosters usually do not challenge ganders, but I am very particular about who gets to come onto my property, and those who get to stay here permanently. I have occasionally had an overly aggressive rooster to humans and female chickens/ducks. Those roosters do not stay here long once they show aggression.

There are times when a juvenile/yearling rooster may raise chest and try to start a fight, but when ganders respond, the rooster will eventually run away. Fortunately, my animals have plenty of space to retreat.

There are times when a juvenile/yearling rooster may raise chest and try to start a fight, but when ganders respond, the rooster will eventually run away. Fortunately, my animals have plenty of space to retreat.
So that's good to hear, but begs the question were any of your hens getting dominating by the ganders or other geese when they backed off? Also have you witnessed their reaction to other critters or predators?

No, my geese are all mated or part of a small group and do not bother themselves with chickens or ducks. I had a rooster that raped a domestic duck, injuring her, and a muscovy drake that attempted to rape a goose. They were both gone that day to never rape again. I had a small domestic drake that attempted to rape geese. The geese were annoyed, but he was no threat to them. But I eventually had to rehome the little bugger who refused to connect with any ducks at our place, to a place without geese.

My geese and roosters ignore each other. Well, unless the rooster is unlucky enough to be caught in a corner. Then there's a mad scramble to escape the angry gaggle, but the chickens have so far proven to be too maneuverable to be caught completely. Feathers, sometimes lots, have been lost, though, always on the chickens' side. For male interactions in particular, there's nothing like that - the roosters don't see the ganders as competition for women, so they don't feel the need to interact that much beyond being sure to keep their distance, and my ganders take as much notice of the roosters as my geese do. I do have no doubt any one of my gaggle would kill my roosters or hens if they could catch them when they're too close to the goslings. I limit dead ends in the waterfowl area to avoid this possibility. Coops are opened at both ends or not at all, and the only true dead end is through a hole my geese can't get through.

My geese and roosters ignore each other. Well, unless the rooster is unlucky enough to be caught in a corner. Then there's a mad scramble to escape the angry gaggle, but the chickens have so far proven to be too maneuverable to be caught completely. Feathers, sometimes lots, have been lost, though, always on the chickens' side. For male interactions in particular, there's nothing like that - the roosters don't see the ganders as competition for women, so they don't feel the need to interact that much beyond being sure to keep their distance, and my ganders take as much notice of the roosters as my geese do. I do have no doubt any one of my gaggle would kill my roosters or hens if they could catch them when they're too close to the goslings. I limit dead ends in the waterfowl area to avoid this possibility. Coops are opened at both ends or not at all, and the only true dead end is through a hole my geese can't get through.
This is pretty much what I expect.

Back
Top Bottom