Fully Feathered?

Clucked Up

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
North Central TN
These 9 chicks are 5 weeks old. Please tell me if they are what is considered "fully feathered" as I'm 1 week out from the coop being completed. Nights may go to the low/mid 30's. Two Barred Rocks, 2 ISA Browns, 4 RIR, and a Little Miss Mystery Chick! They are currently living in the kitchen ... 'nuff said! I am in North Central Tennessee. (Three photos total)
After a week or so, I put a small square fan in the window and blocked the rest off. The dust was becoming bothersome, but still NO odor! I started them on small pieces (diced) of broccoli, apples and lettuce, then incorporated sprinkles of chick grit to their muffin tin feeder. Just HAD to add my little "shy" chik pic.

Last edited:
Looks like they have pretty good feathering. They should be fine by the time the coop is done, assuming that it provides protection from wind and wet.

Start getting them acclimated by taking them out in the daytime if you can.

Thanks! I agree, and the coop will be more than protective (my husband will offer them room service and valet pecking ...spoiled) from wind, rain, predators; etc.
Grab Some Spring!

Well It is hard to say because we don't have the photo's we need to tell. What do they look like under their wings? What do they look like if you turn them over? It looks like the ones on the perch have a strip of feathers down their back. Do they still have their chick down on their body under their wings? How well they need to be feathered out also depends on your weather. You say the coop will be done in a week. They should be just fine provided two things are true. Your coop protects them from the wind and the rain and you are having spring like weather. If they are dry and the weather isn't much below freezing at night they are old enough to make the move. Keep in mind that at this age they may get lost or just not have the sense to go inside the coop if they are in the run at this age. So if you expect cold rainy weather in the first couple of weeks after they make the move it may be best to keep them in the coop and not let them have access to the run. They are still small and do not need as much space. If you are still providing them a heat lamp in their brooder it is time to turn it off. The less severe the temperature change is the better they will do. Good luck with your new chicks.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom