full term embryos dying

chicksonline

Songster
Mar 14, 2017
i’ve had two brinsea mini incubators for three years now, my hatch rate always being 100%or as close too it but recently the embryos/chicks have grown to full term and then they just die 1 or 2 days before hatching, i’ll be lucky if 2 hatch and i just don’t understand what’s happening, i’ve done everything the same as i always have since starting and it’s been the last couple of batches just randomly dying!
can anyone explain why this might be/ anyone know a solution or had this problem.

i have a brinsea maxi coming in the post but i don’t want to risk putting 30 chicks in for them too all just die a day before hatching

Where are you getting your hatching eggs? Nutrition may be a factor.
You may need to change some things to get more to hatch.
Double or triple check your temperatures and humidity. Try incubating 30% or less humidity, it's worked for tons of people including me to go against the other guidelines.
I hatch at 100'F with huge success.
At lockdown I raise the humidity to 60-65%.

Where are you getting your hatching eggs? Nutrition may be a factor.
You may need to change some things to get more to hatch.
Double or triple check your temperatures and humidity. Try incubating 30% or less humidity, it's worked for tons of people including me to go against the other guidelines.
I hatch at 100'F with huge success.
At lockdown I raise the humidity to 60-65%.
i use my own hatching eggs so nutrition will be great, my temp is always on 37.5°c and my humidity is what brinsea told me by keeping the one channel full at all times (i don’t have a humidity controller) i always have more humidify when at lockdown(adding more water)

One channel full would probably be too much humidity still, unless its dry in they area the incubator is in. It's important that you get a separate hygrometer at the store and see what the humidity is in your incubator. Temperature changes in incubators sometimes so you need to make sure its still on target too.
If their is too much humidity the chick grows too large and doesn't have enough air to breathe. Then, when it's hatching time the chick is so large it can't turn to zip out.
I wonder if the other times you hatched were all at the same time of year, and now you are hatching a different time of year? I just wondered if the outside humidity is different.
Did you eggtopsy an of the eggs?

One channel full would probably be too much humidity still, unless its dry in they area the incubator is in. It's important that you get a separate hygrometer at the store and see what the humidity is in your incubator. Temperature changes in incubators sometimes so you need to make sure its still on target too.
If their is too much humidity the chick grows too large and doesn't have enough air to breathe. Then, when it's hatching time the chick is so large it can't turn to zip out.
I wonder if the other times you hatched were all at the same time of year, and now you are hatching a different time of year? I just wondered if the outside humidity is different.
Did you eggtopsy an of the eggs?
i do them all year round especially at this time of year, i try to keep the humidity as low as possible during the first part.
i do eggtopsy they usually look full term with the egg yolk still out there’s also enough room to turn around in but they are usually coated in a jelly liquid i usually see them moving around and rolling the day of hatching but then a few days later nothing and they have died

If there's a "jelly" , then I still stand by too much humidity.
They sell these everywhere thermometer/hygrometers: WalMart, Amazon, local hardware stores..
1589726117858.png

Back
Top Bottom