rjrinehart

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
Southeast Tennessee
so it got really cold here in Tennessee from like Christmas, maybe earlier than that, until about a couple days ago. I’m talking like in the teens. I live in the south east area. My rooster has really dark red almost fully black tips on his comb that are frost bitten. Like a inch from the tips down. Anything I can do to help him before they fall off? Other wise he is really healthy.

so it got really cold here in Tennessee from like Christmas, maybe earlier than that, until about a couple days ago. I’m talking like in the teens. I live in the south east area. My rooster has really dark red almost fully black tips on his comb that are frost bitten. Like a inch from the tips down. Anything I can do to help him before they fall off? Other wise he is really healthy.

I agree with @oldhenlikesdogs usually it's best to leave a frostbitten comb alone. The points will usually dry up and fall off (self dub). If you notice a strong odor (infection) or he becomes lethargic/not eating or drinking, then it's time to intervene.

Frostbite is fairly common in large combed roosters, but it won't hurt to evaluate your housing to ensure there is enough ventilation to move moist air up and out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom