BantamAshley

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Syracuse, NY
FRIZZLE GENE QUESTION!

I have Zero visibly frizzled birds, though I do have one straight-feathered Cochin that was born of a friend’s frizzled hen.

1. Does this mean she carries the frizzle gene still?

2. If I breed her with a non-frizzle rooster, could the offspring still potentially be frizzled?

3. If a straight-feathered hen who carries the frizzle gene is crossed with a straight-feathered roo who also carries the frizzle gene, is there still a risk of getting a frazzle, or overly frizzled bird?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. She does not carry the frizzle gene. Frizzling is dominant. If a bird has the frizzle gene, it is frizzled. In fact, you never want a bird to have two copies of frizzle, because this causes the feathers to be extremely brittle and causes problems. So you only ever want to breed frizzled birds to smooth birds.

2. You cannot get a frizzled bird out of her breeding her to a smooth rooster. I also want to let you know that it's 'breed', not 'bread'. If you bread a bird you're covering it in bread crumbs in preparation for frying it :p I hope you don't take offense to me correcting you, I only do it because I would want someone to tell me if I did the same thing.

3. Since no smooth birds can 'carry' frizzle, this is not a problem :)

FRIZZLE GENE QUESTION!

I have Zero visibly frizzled birds, though I do have one straight-feathered Cochin that was born of a friend’s frizzled hen.

1. Does this mean she carries the frizzle gene still?

2. If I breed her with a non-frizzle rooster, could the offspring still potentially be frizzled?

3. If a straight-feathered hen who carries the frizzle gene is crossed with a straight-feathered roo who also carries the frizzle gene, is there still a risk of getting a frazzle, or overly frizzled bird?

Thanks!
1. She does not carry the frizzle gene. Frizzling is dominant. If a bird has the frizzle gene, it is frizzled. In fact, you never want a bird to have two copies of frizzle, because this causes the feathers to be extremely brittle and causes problems. So you only ever want to breed frizzled birds to smooth birds.

2. You cannot get a frizzled bird out of her breeding her to a smooth rooster. I also want to let you know that it's 'breed', not 'bread'. If you bread a bird you're covering it in bread crumbs in preparation for frying it :p I hope you don't take offense to me correcting you, I only do it because I would want someone to tell me if I did the same thing.

3. Since no smooth birds can 'carry' frizzle, this is not a problem :)
fixed it ;)

Back
Top Bottom