Puzak0917

Hatching
Apr 13, 2021
Hello!
I have 6 Pekin ducks who will soon be ready to be moved outside (free range). Looking for advice on Duck house size/construction and How to go about teaching my babies to go into duck house at night.

Duck house/construction..
So I've read they need at least 4sq feet of floor space per duck. The plan is to have the ducks free range during the day on our 1 acre pond and then at night, lock them up for their safety. I'd love to see your duck houses that are similar to my situation.

Learning to return to house at night..
We have chickens and we have taught them to return to their coop at night by keeping them in the coop for a while so they understand where it is safe to be. That's worked out great, but will that same concept work at night for the ducks? The plan is to have a duck house that's enough space for them to sleep, eat and drink and walk a bit of course. So they wouldn't have access to the pond or swim time, which I've read and do feel is extremely important for ducks every day life. So how do I go about teaching them where it is safe to sleep at night. I've read people feed at night or give treats to get them in their house, but my little messy little feathered friends are terrified of me, even tho I'm I'm the one who feeds them, waters them, gives swim time and cleans thier broader for them every day lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I don't have any experience with Pekins, but my runners are extremely food oriented. In the morning, I yell, "duck, duck," and a parade of 10 runs across the yard to the food dish. In the evening, I yell, "duck, duck, house, house" (yeah, they also probably wonder why I repeat myself so often), and they gladly run into their house/shelter to gobble down dinner.

They live in a large, rectangular structure, and the floor is divided by a 4 by 4 that braces the structure across its width. Sleeping quarters are east of the brace, and feeding/watering area is west of it. The "floor" is hardware cloth covered in straw or pine shavings -- depending on what I have available and how much "muck" I want to shovel -- so the water they spill pours through the floor.

I hand raised every one of those ducks, and they still seem suspicious of me. Because they love food so much, I force them to allow me to pet them while they are having breakfast. Now, everyone will eat out of my hand, as long as I don't try to pick them up. Even Quinn, my senior duck queen who will follow me around begging for food, will not allow that!

Good luck with your babies and have patience. It took months for me to get my newest girls to a point where I could touch them without having them run off in terror. Food, however, won out over fear.

You may have problems like I have read getting them back off the pond at night. Many ducks will just stay on the water or flee from you once on a pond. Just something to think about.

something 6x6 would have the floor space for six ducks. I used pallets for most of my frame work then put plywood over it.

We have ours in a run area (but take them to our tiny pond periodically), they seem to know their house is theirs and are putting themselves up in the evening. When they’re done with the pond they get out and walk over to the gate. They’re only 6 weeks but are catching on quick. Repetition helps

The is a thread called Coop & Run - Design, Construction and Maintenance here you can find lots of ideas and advice.
My ducks free range during the day. The coop and run doors are left open so they have access to the chow and water in the run. When I want them in for the night, I call Duck, Duck and most of them come running. The others follow because they don't want to be left behind. Then I give them a special treat like corn, grapes, mealworms, etc. This is the only time they get this treat. First one in gets the best parts.

My ducks put themselves to bed probably 85% of the time. I have found that if I go out with a flashlight after dark to slide back their coop door, I will sometimes find a few running around outside, trying to find the door. I figure they just were outside looking for food too late and once it got dark, they couldn't find it. Usually everybody gets in okay, though.
I see you mentioned you have chickens as well. I assume they are also free ranging? Do you know if any of your ducks are drakes? Just asking because on the off chance you don't know, male ducks should not be allowed near the chickens because if they try to mate with them, they can severely injure or even kill the hens.

My duck house is simply pallets with a hinged metal roof (for venting and spying) its big enough for sleeping..no food no water..i lock them up every night and most times they go in byself.
I let them out at first light..they free range.They get feed at.3to4pm.. I never feed or water in house. Same routine no matter the season, other than in winter they get feed in morning due to snow pack
My chickens have a separate house they inhabit. Some will say otherwise, but i never house my ducks with my chickens

Back
Top Bottom