FOODS GUINEAS CAN AND CAN'T EAT

Pics

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
Hey everyone

I'm hoping to compile a list of all the things guineas can and can't eat.

Please reply and help out, don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

DO
• a variety of grains and seeds
• complete chicken feed (preferably in grain form not pellet form)
• shell grit
• bugs
• grass and weeds they eat while foraging
• fruit and vegetables
• wheat bran and wheat germ, or any grain bran or germ. The germ is more expensive but it's got tonnes of healthy stuff

DONT
• potato peels
• avocado
• chocolate
• uncooked legumes, beans and chickpeas
• anything overly sweet, oily, fatty or salty

TREATS
• millet
• grapes
• brown, wholemeal and multigrain bread (with the healthy ingredients, white bread can be fed but it's not as healthy for them). Brown bread contains manganese which can prevent twisted leg or slipped tendon in offspring

Mine love meal worms. They will attack my hands when I hand feed. Kinda hurts heh. Now they like me though. :)

I'm getting baby guinea soon, what do you guys suggest I feed them? Is it okay if they eat chick starter or do they need more protein?

I use the kind of meal worms that are dried and come in a big package. You are suppose to feed Guineas a high protein food. I use Dumor high protein feed for chicks. It's for Guineas, turkeys and quail but I also feed it to my chicks.

I use the kind of meal worms that are dried and come in a big package. You are suppose to feed Guineas a high protein food. I use Dumor high protein feed for chicks. It's for Guineas, turkeys and quail but I also feed it to my chicks.

What's the protein percentage on that?

I'm getting baby guinea soon, what do you guys suggest I feed them? Is it okay if they eat chick starter or do they need more protein?

Guinea keets can survive on chick starter but they will never reach their full potential. Keets should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter. It should be a minimum of 26% protein and higher is better. I feed mine a 28% protein turkey gamebird starter.

Back
Top Bottom