Food to help growth?

1234chicken4321

Songster
May 14, 2020
DSC_0492.JPG
Hi, these chicks are the same age (they're 4 weeks). Sadly they became ill (why they're indoors) and so their growth has been effected plus some of their siblings died. Fingers crossed these guys will make it through (still showing symptoms), but what can I give the smaller left chick to help it out?
They have constant access to chicken corn (mostly for the mum) and chick feed, I also chop them up fruit and veg and even catch them worms.

View attachment 2239567Hi, these chicks are the same age (they're 4 weeks). Sadly they became ill (why they're indoors) and so their growth has been effected plus some of their siblings died. Fingers crossed these guys will make it through (still showing symptoms), but what can I give the smaller left chick to help it out?
They have constant access to chicken corn (mostly for the mum) and chick feed, I also chop them up fruit and veg and even catch them worms.
Personally, I would remove some of the treats like the veggies and the corn and have the full time access to the high quality 16to 20% premium protein starter grower crumble or pellets and a then if you give them some treats other than the crumble I would provide some chick grit. I feel that with all the other veggies and corn you were providing which were though healthy options they were substituting the calories they needed everyday as protein calories with empty carb calories instead of essential protein building block calories that their bodies needed to have to use in order to build strong muscles and bones. The treats were healthy but were just limiting their growth abilities. It happens all the time. It even happens with human kids. Parents do not understand the protein needs that are really needed in small children and feed them incorrectly in their daily diet in regard to protein. A inexpensive consult with a pediatric dietician would do wonders for families for them to learn how to correctly feed their children from day one so as to prevent obesity or underweight children who both do poorly in school. A good diet means so much for an animals ability to learn and develop as well as a human child. A chicken really needs their protein feed as a priority. A dog also needs it dry food just the same first then a few treats. Just a few.

Personally, I would remove some of the treats like the veggies and the corn and have the full time access to the high quality 16to 20% premium protein starter grower crumble or pellets and a then if you give them some treats other than the crumble I would provide some chick grit. I feel that with all the other veggies and corn you were providing which were though healthy options they were substituting the calories they needed everyday as protein calories with empty carb calories instead of essential protein building block calories that their bodies needed to have to use in order to build strong muscles and bones. The treats were healthy but were just limiting their growth abilities. It happens all the time. It even happens with human kids. Parents do not understand the protein needs that are really needed in small children and feed them incorrectly in their daily diet in regard to protein. A inexpensive consult with a pediatric dietician would do wonders for families for them to learn how to correctly feed their children from day one so as to prevent obesity or underweight children who both do poorly in school. A good diet means so much for an animals ability to learn and develop as well as a human child. A chicken really needs their protein feed as a priority. A dog also needs it dry food just the same first then a few treats. Just a few.
Thanks, that makes sense. I've already got the feed so I'll try that out solely. Hopefully they'll recover soon and then they can go back out (feel bad keeping them in but don't want to run the risk of infecting the others)

Thanks, that makes sense. I've already got the feed so I'll try that out solely. Hopefully they'll recover soon and then they can go back out (feel bad keeping them in but don't want to run the risk of infecting the others)
Hey I thought of this also. If they need protein boosts also you can give them some hard boiled eggs and some meal worms. Just not too many meal worms. I think one chick can have two tables spoons a day. Just check the labels. They are really good sources of protein that are cheap and you usually have them on hand if you have chickens already. Sorry I left them off earlier.

If they need protein boosts also you can give them some hard boiled eggs and some meal worms. Just not too many meal worms. I think one chick can have two tables spoons a day.

2 Tbsp is a LOT for a 4 wk old chick. Doubt their crops are even that large.

I'd skip the mealworms, but eggs are very nutrient rich, if a chick needs an extra boost.

View attachment 2239567Hi, these chicks are the same age (they're 4 weeks). Sadly they became ill (why they're indoors) and so their growth has been effected plus some of their siblings died. Fingers crossed these guys will make it through (still showing symptoms), but what can I give the smaller left chick to help it out?
my sister has chicken and they got ill when they were young and it slowed their growth she put them on a high protein chick crumb and that helped.

Back
Top Bottom