Follow up to first slaughter

Angelfishie

Songster
Jul 24, 2019
Beggs, OK
Well, Stewy took a nice hot soak today. I seasoned him generously with salt & pepper and placed him in a Dutch oven with celery, garlic and about 12 oz of white wine, covered, in the oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees (F). 20 minutes with the lid off to crisp up the skin. The flavor was amazing - like I remembered from childhood when grandma raised chickens.

We were happy with the end result, though I think a lower temp would yield a better result- white meat dried out a bit, as did the first layer of meat on the legs. Otherwise it was delicious.

I served it with maple roasted butternut squash from our garden. Quite pleasing to eat a “raised your own” meal.
51FA509E-0413-4EF4-88A6-ECA20D6349BA.jpeg
8823BA6D-C8DF-4ACE-96EA-206EEE81A4FA.jpeg

We were happy with the end result, though I think a lower temp would yield a better result- white meat dried out a bit, as did the first layer of meat on the legs. Otherwise it was delicious.

Not sure how old he was but I cook them at 250 F, also covered. I cut mine into serving pieces, do not leave them whole, not sure if that would make a difference. I don't crisp them up either, not sure if that would have contributed to the dryness. So many different things to try. But you get to eat your "mistakes". :thumbsup Life is so unfair!

I've been trying to convince the husband to raise meat birds. Was it worth it? I think we would still keep a few layers, but, our own fresh meat would be worth it. How much did they weigh? We just culled a couple of our layers, (they weren't laying) and they were only about 3 and a half pounds.

I've been trying to convince the husband to raise meat birds. Was it worth it? I think we would still keep a few layers, but, our own fresh meat would be worth it. How much did they weigh? We just culled a couple of our layers, (they weren't laying) and they were only about 3 and a half pounds.
This was 4 lbs 2 oz dressed out. It was worth it, in my opinion. Many reasons: we know how the bird was raised and cared for, we know it was treated humanely, the flavor of the cooked bird was far above the quality/taste/flavor of grocery store birds, and there is a sense of satisfaction in the ability to provide a meal entirely from your own back yard.

This was 4 lbs 2 oz dressed out. It was worth it, in my opinion. Many reasons: we know how the bird was raised and cared for, we know it was treated humanely, the flavor of the cooked bird was far above the quality/taste/flavor of grocery store birds, and there is a sense of satisfaction in the ability to provide a meal entirely from your own back yard.
:thumbsup

Totally agree about it being worth it.

I've been trying to convince the husband to raise meat birds. Was it worth it?

Kinda depends on your goals and personal preferences. I like Angelfishie's reasons but they are not for everyone. Not everybody agrees that the flavor is better, especially if you want it to taste like the meat you buy at the store. You will pay more to raise them yourself than if you just bought the meat at the store, so if money is your only consideration it's not the most efficient way to go. If the other things are more important to you it could be worth it to you. It is worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom