Another white hen! For a while it was nothing but fancy black hens around here. It's about time another magic white chicken joined the thread!

View attachment 3837720
Absolutely!
Do you know that I was on the “I will never add a white chicken to my flock” train, for just about ever? Just like all those folks who swear off of silkies, only to become doting silkie owners. I was even disappointed when Whiskey, of last year’s chicks, turned out mostly cream instead of the mostly red I was expecting.
Well! Then came Caroline, and by the time she fully feathered in, I realized it’s MAGIC. I needed a white chicken. How does she gleam so white! So clean!

E9B2FFB1-151B-4247-932D-6A48C1BA5E2D.jpeg
Here she is when I was calling her Bananas. Her magical white feathers hadn’t grown in yet, so she still had yellow baby tones.

I found out His a Great tail Grackle.
That are also very smart birds and extremely social.

I'm planing on taking him to the wildlife place so they can help him more.
That’s probably the best thing, they have the experience, and likely a Vet on call if they need one.

This is going to be a whole new challenge for you. I'm going to enjoy the stories. They need a chicken mama but I guess you will have to do.
Tonight I found whiskers sitting on eggs - if she is broody I might give her a couple days to see if she stays and then maybe slip them under her and see if she will take them on. Risky….

I don't think I could ever have bantams - I would be too afraid of harming something so tiny. When the baby Carolina Wren that hatched in my garage was learning to fly, he was on a mission to self destruct. I was always terrified I would crush him as I hauled him out of buckets and paint cans etc. Honestly, you would think they would have more basic flight skills, but this little guy was always face-planting on the walls and dropping down into buckets of water. I had to make the garage baby-bird proof and even then he managed to find ways to get into trouble.
Here he is - so cute! Eventually he learned to fly, grew up, and sang to me from the peach tree outside the garage.
He gave me as much anxiety as the chickens!
View attachment 3837750View attachment 3837751View attachment 3837752
Awwww 😊 he was an overly enthusiastic youngster it sounds like.

Wow they are getting big, even the small one. Do those other two have feathered legs?
Yup! Caroline and Moa both have big bodies, short beaks with attractive rounded heads, and feathered legs.

Okay all, I found something ominous today on the lid out our kid’s sandbox. I just about freaked out and ran to check on my chicks before remembering that 1) my run was much too secure for this to be one of theirs, and 2) my chicks are quite large now for this to be one of theirs…
47502FEF-8C4F-4C53-A261-8D150E37EAF7.jpeg

Awwww 😊 he was an overly enthusiastic youngster it sounds like.
It was fascinating watching them grow and fledge at such close quarters. Very dedicated parents in and out all day with food.
There were three babies. The other two got the hang of flying after only a few epic fails. But there is always one!!

Last edited:
Yup! Caroline and Moa both have big bodies, short beaks with attractive rounded heads, and feathered legs.

Okay all, I found something ominous today on the lid out our kid’s sandbox. I just about freaked out and ran to check on my chicks before remembering that 1) my run was much too secure for this to be one of theirs, and 2) my chicks are quite large now for this to be one of theirs…
View attachment 3837806
Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom