Poultry DVM says that the dosage of fenbendazole is 20-50mg/kg given daily for 3-5 days and then repeated for another 3-5 days after a 10 day gap (that is to get the worms that were only eggs during the first dose).

The scientific studies on fenbendazole dosing (which are few) are in the same ballpark and at the low end of the Poultry DVM range.

I am going to assume Princess weighs about 2kg. Maybe a bit more.

So at 50mg/kg for a 2kg hen that would be 100mg daily.

You have a 500mg capsule which means you need to divide it into 5 equal parts and give one of those portions each day. Your capsule will last for the whole of the 5 days of treatment.

Now it is tricky to divide a capsule into 5 portions. Fortunately the dose range is quite broad so absolute accuracy isn't essential!

If you have a scale capable of weighting 100mg then tip the contents out of the capsule and use the scale.

Or you could tip it out and divide it up in portions by eye. You will look like you are cutting crack, but a razor blade on a clear surface like a mirror, really will make it easier.

Making a solution and diluting it won't work because fenbendazole is not soluble in water.

One you have your tiny amount of powder to give Princess, I would put it on a grape or a damp bit of bread and get it down the hatch in one!

Good luck!

Advice needed from all you folk with broody experience.
Piglet is on day 13 or 14. She has started to show some ambivalence about the whole thing.
Last night she slept outside the nest but very close to it and this morning she is back on the nest again.
Maybe she just figured Tassels would do a good job at keeping the nest warm and she wanted a night off?
Do you think there is any chance she will just give up?
Otherwise she is due for broody jail after 21 days - I thought next weekend.
Any words of wisdom for me?
I've had several that just gave up. Usually they are younger pullets. It generally happens when something stresses them; a thunderstorm, a young cockerel that tries to nest with them, or even another hen pestering them. Some give up because I take them off the nests, sit them outside, and confiscate the eggs.

Poultry DVM says that the dosage of fenbendazole is 20-50mg/kg given daily for 3-5 days and then repeated for another 3-5 days after a 10 day gap (that is to get the worms that were only eggs during the first dose).

The scientific studies on fenbendazole dosing (which are few) are in the same ballpark and at the low end of the Poultry DVM range.

I am going to assume Princess weighs about 2kg. Maybe a bit more.

So at 50mg/kg for a 2kg hen that would be 100mg daily.

You have a 500mg capsule which means you need to divide it into 5 equal parts and give one of those portions each day. Your capsule will last for the whole of the 5 days of treatment.

Now it is tricky to divide a capsule into 5 portions. Fortunately the dose range is quite broad so absolute accuracy isn't essential!

If you have a scale capable of weighting 100mg then tip the contents out of the capsule and use the scale.

Or you could tip it out and divide it up in portions by eye. You will look like you are cutting crack, but a razor blade on a clear surface like a mirror, really will make it easier.

Making a solution and diluting it won't work because fenbendazole is not soluble in water.

One you have your tiny amount of powder to give Princess, I would put it on a grape or a damp bit of bread and get it down the hatch in one!

Good luck!
Thank god 🙏 I'm so very grateful. I will have to estimate because i can't measure 50mg from 500mg of power. I had to risk giving her a pinch of powder into 5mi of water and gave it to her in a syringe it's getting late and I can't function anymore.

You're a life saver ❤️ 💕

So split the capsule into five then split into 2 making 50mg

I'll get bread, that's a way that can't fail :) ;)
RC you're a gem

Edit: honestly, I'm so relieved this week is done! My money Internet and phone has all been up in the air since last week and on a daily basis.
It's all shut my brain down along with this pathetic phone and wifi connection.

Last edited:
It's a Hatch Day Celebration!

Look who are 2!

20240517_163333.jpg

Back
Top Bottom