On this Twofer Tuesday, these two just want to escape. They seem to love escaping more than food.
IMG_0968.JPG

I thought a few of you might find this interesting. I’m now reading this study saying that in hens who have suffered from salpingitis (although this is incidentally the same problem common to older hens where they throw increasingly thin-shelled egg), the microvilli that line the endometrium are damaged due to inflammation. Even once the inflammation has cleared, the villi will have either atrophied or are reduced in number. It’s those villi that hold the egg and push it along at a certain pace, so if they’re damaged, they end up passing eggs through the tract more quickly. Thus, thin shelled eggs.

But! That blood concentrations for minerals don’t change; meaning that additional calcium wouldn’t help. “The damages of endometrial tissue inhibit the processes of ion transmission and the crystallization of eggshell formation”.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6238045/
Thanks for sharing I read most of it (had to get back to work 🤔), that was most informative!

MUGS:
View attachment 3796099
Two marans and Mina

View attachment 3796100
Two marans, one of which could still be a pullet :fl

View attachment 3796101
The black Olive egger, left, joins in on mugs fun

View attachment 3796102
Bananas!

View attachment 3796103
Wee lass, who is always cold. She finds herself begging the other chicks to please go to bed, it’s time for a nap and to heat up. But noo, they’re too busy!
Awwww wee lassie is a darling! And so is Bananas!

It was almost two months exactly between lash eggs for Pip. Has anyone else dealing with this noticed any pattern to frequency?
Nope

I had a hen have one a couple yrs ago when I had no idea what it was, a
Bunch of thin shelled and membrane eggs, then stopped, then laid normal eggs last year and this I have no idea if she is laying at all.

But she is acting normal running around eating pooping. I am giving her calcium.

Then there was Petunia who has had soft eggs, brittle eggs, eggs in eggs….

And Sharpie and her lash egg :sick

Not sure if she is laying anything as I am working and not home.

And take Larry, she was laying brittle eggs that always broke, and now she seems to be laying nice eggs since she moulted and I have been dosing her with calcium.

Same thing Marty - she was laying soft eggs, moulted and I have been giving calcium.

So right now I have the following hens on calcium every other night.
- Blanche
- Larry
- Marty
- Petunia
- Sharpie

I have giving calcium to them down to a science hahaha - grab and stuff down their gobs- they don’t even fuss now.

Back
Top Bottom