Two marans and Mina

F9BB44AD-26A6-482B-A8E4-84CE67244470.jpeg

Two marans, one of which could still be a pullet :fl

5C42138F-C069-4B30-9391-D7FA9073BA4B.jpeg

The black Olive egger, left, joins in on mugs fun

E86D4AA2-A167-49FB-90CE-BBEDA8A5AB67.jpeg

Bananas!

E2B742CE-3A4D-428D-8398-C5CEE384B2D9.jpeg

Wee lass, who is always cold. She finds herself begging the other chicks to please go to bed, it’s time for a nap and to heat up. But noo, they’re too busy!

So with Ginger, she got sick around end of July, beginning of August. I treated her with different herbs and a little amoxicillin, and she got better and laid some eggs. About December she went downhill fast and eventually died on her own.

With Lady Nacho, she got sick beginning of January, and this Saturday I decided she had suffered long enough and put her out of her misery.

Ginger lasted around five months, and Lady Nacho about three. (Lady may have survived longer if I had not put her out of her misery.)
I'm so sorry you lost so many 😔

I thought a few of you might find this interesting. I’m now reading this study saying that in hens who have suffered from salpingitis (although this is incidentally the same problem common to older hens where they throw increasingly thin-shelled egg), the microvilli that line the endometrium are damaged due to inflammation. Even once the inflammation has cleared, the villi will have either atrophied or are reduced in number. It’s those villi that hold the egg and push it along at a certain pace, so if they’re damaged, they end up passing eggs through the tract more quickly. Thus, thin shelled eggs.

But! That blood concentrations for minerals don’t change; meaning that additional calcium wouldn’t help. “The damages of endometrial tissue inhibit the processes of ion transmission and the crystallization of eggshell formation”.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6238045/
Incredibly interesting. Thank you for sharing!

So with Ginger, she got sick around end of July, beginning of August. I treated her with different herbs and a little amoxicillin, and she got better and laid some eggs. About December she went downhill fast and eventually died on her own.

With Lady Nacho, she got sick beginning of January, and this Saturday I decided she had suffered long enough and put her out of her misery.

Ginger lasted around five months, and Lady Nacho about three. (Lady may have survived longer if I had not put her out of her misery.)
How old were they?

Thank you! Bookmarked for future reading.
She did! Or does. She behaves as though it’s a thing of the past, but still has very thin shelled eggs. I’m fairly confident it’s bound to flare up again, and that these ridiculously thin shelled eggs are here to stay.
I am wondering if there is any correlation between Pip having had (suspected, but pretty sure) coccidiosis and being the one with salpingitis and thin shells.

Totally cool.
We got about 90% coverage here. Forecast was for cloud - but it was mostly clear.
My eclipse pie was yummy and I got some good photos.
The Princesses were entirely uninterested and stayed outside scratching around.

View attachment 3795707View attachment 3795708View attachment 3795709View attachment 3795710View attachment 3795711

Tax: Piglet says eclipse? What is an eclipse? Is it edible?
View attachment 3795712
Yes, Piglet, it is edible! But someone’s beaten you to it, they went around and took a bite of every cookie! 😆
Seriously, that looks great RC!

Back
Top Bottom