Ash laid a soft shell double yolker this evening. When I pulled Morinth off the nest I saw it in the coop and popped her fluffy butt right there so she'd get a bit to eat. Mom asked if it'll be a problem with her sitting for three weeks, I told her that as long as she eats and drinks when I pull her off during my checks she should be okay. 🤷 she isn't getting any babies but I don't want to deny her such an important instinct. I have the luxury of having a second lay box.

Tax...babies! Dad and I went to family farm and home to see if I could find any nest pads since they keep scratching the pine needles away and laying on the hard floor.
View attachment 3760499
Cornish rocks
View attachment 3760501
Gold laced wyandottes
View attachment 3760502
Golden laced wyandottes and cornish rocks
View attachment 3760503
Black australorps and isa browns I think
View attachment 3760504
Sapphire sky and rhode island reds I think
View attachment 3760505
Silver laced wyandottes
I...wasn't tempted surprisingly. I have too much going on with my current ladies haha.
View attachment 3760506
Hubby giving them snacks on Sunday
Gosh those babies are wonderful 😊 you have great fortitude to not bring any home !

The laugh is for the wind tossled feathers 🤭

They all look so happy running around pecking and digging ❤️

Wow you really have absolutely no snow! What’s the temps? I know out west here it’s brutally cold. Here It’s supposed to be close to 10C (50F) today and even warmer this weekend!

Did I mention the Golden Eagle on Wednesday when I was just getting home flying over my place? Now I am even more worried about aerial predators! I am sure one of them could easily take a chicken.
Highs have been above freezing, lows a little below freezing. (Typical temps here) it allows the snow to melt and recaptures it so it can soak in rather than run over the surface. W do have more snow forecast for this weekend, but temps will still bounce the yo-yo string.

20240228_140727.jpg
Whiskey and Mera

Okay, poultry competition went well. There was me and one other person on our team, while every other team had four-eight people. We didn’t get last though. I was going to make an offer for one of the hens because I had 40 dollars, but when I finished my last “station,” everyone was already at the bus, so I wasn’t able to.

My polishes are coming next week!

Name ideas:
Athena ( Goddess of wisdom and war strategy. My personal favorite god/goddess ever.)
Circe (Goddess of sorcery)
Hera (Goddess of marriage, family, childbirth, and woman. She was married to Zeus.)
Aphrodite (Goddess of love)
Demeter (Goddess of the harvest.)
Calypso (Goddess of the sea.)
Nyx (Goddess of the night. Zeus feared her.)
Nemesis (Goddess of revenge. Nyx’s daughter.)

Yes, they are Greek goddesses. I’m obsessed with all of the Greek gods/goddesses. I bought a translated version of the Odyssey last week. It’s super hard to read 😅

There’s actually a musical that someone is writing that’s based off of the Odyssey. It’s called EPIC: The Musical. It’s so good; it’s the reason that I am in love with all of the Greek stuff.

And if for some reason I don’t like one of those names anymore:
Hesita (I do love this name though!)
Dionysus (another one that I love.)
Artemis ( This would be my first option for a name, but my dog is named the Roman version of Artemis, which is Diana. That’s the only reason I’m reluctant to name a chook this.)
Alcyone
Ceto
Calliope
Alectrona (I feel like I should name one this in honor of @notabitail. It sounds like Electrona)
Pretty names but rather charged ... You do know about Circe and the pigs ?
Thanks for the thorough reminders of what to check for!
Breathing is quiet and unlabored, eyes are clear and bright, no mites that I could spot. I wasn’t sure what to look for for her ears?
She was laying eggs, 4ish a week, but I would guess that her last was about a full week ago now.

She seems improved today- her comb is now a pale pink instead of just pale, and every time I looked outside she had her tail perked up rather than depressed down. Although she still looked poofed and reserved. And she hadn’t touched their pellets (I assume, since she’s still rocking an empty crop). She did join the fray for scrambled egg and apple!
View attachment 3760536
Albert is the gray/rust chicken on the upper right. Besides a pale comb, she looks fine in this photo. :confused:
I'm glad she is better and hope she is on her way to recovery ! Maybe the Corid did help, or maybe she is getting over whatever she caught.
And I hope I wasn't obnoxious. It was more than a year and a half after I got my first chickens that I became aware of things to check for 😐.
About the ear, if there is an infection it could be clogged, swollen or full of waxy stuff which would be hidden under the protective cap.
The pale comb could also be from hormones if she has stopped laying.

Do you remember that you corrected me about the golden eagle I thought translated as bald eagle ? I realised I was probably making another bird translation mistakes. I kept thinking we have lots of crows here that everyone says are so good for chickens - but I think I was wrong and we don't have crows, we have ravens ? They do work very well to harass the hawks and eagles too, but they are rather big birds themselves, and scary for the chickens.
I took some butt pictures ! But.... I can't wait for my phone to die so I can get one with a better camera 🤣.

Laure is on the big and fluffy side of the force.
IMG_20240301_131006.jpg

So is Nougat ( and dirty hum 😱🤫)
IMG_20240301_130539.jpg

Annette is sleek
IMG_20240301_130431.jpg

This is the smallest butt of my chickens, Chipie
IMG_20240301_130635.jpg

Next to Annette for size
IMG_20240301_130638.jpg

Happy butts with a bit of unexpected sun this morning. Léa, Gaston, Blanche and Lulu. Now it's pouring ! I am very glad as we need the rain, but the chickens not so much !
IMG_20240301_115403.jpg

We've had hailstones this morning and Princess is hiding in her coop.
So I've put her food and dandelion leaves in lnside the run and shut the door. It to cold for my old lady.

Yesterday she enjoyed the garden
View attachment 3760756
I really love Princess, but I also loved Tina. She looks so all alone now, is there any chance of finding her a playmate. This has been troubling me for a long time. :(
I know that we’ve discussed this before.

Back
Top Bottom