Ok the answer to who is broody in the "wilds of the tall grass

The location
View attachment 3572133

The eggs
View attachment 3572134

The guesses (If I missed someone (again) yell at me)

@RebeccaBoyd : Primula because of broody reputation of Brahmas
@RoyalChick : Pear, Maizie at a stretch
@Ponypoor : "one of my lovely girls", more specific: hope it's not Thing, going with Silver due to older ladies going broody
@bgmathteach : Not Jessica (too obvious), so Maizie or Primula
@BY Bob : Thing for fun
@lightm : initial guess Twirp (not broody, but expected to be creative if she ever does), round 2: Maizie or Pippa.

View attachment 3572129

Blue lady

View attachment 3572130View attachment 3572131View attachment 3572132My Storm cloud. Orphaned at 3 weeks, raised by Silver and Pear (and a slew of pullets, and Cheetah, only 9 weeks older than she is). A quiet lady, slips into the coop, lays her egg, slips out. No fuss, no drama, just goes about her business. An independent lady not willing to take much from young idiots. Whiskey was doing some serious courtship to which she responded well. Most (if not all) of her eggs in the clutch will be his. There are a few odd ones in there.
Wonderful! I suspect she will be a GREAT mom - based on two things. The hidden nest, and what you just said about her personality. I hope she is very successful at hatching, and that she and her chicks when they hatch remain safe!

I clicked on the picture links and it won't work for me... how do I make it so that it works?
I'm sorry. I am not ignoring you, but I do not know what is wrong/why it didn't work. :( Maybe @notabitail or @Ponypoor might know - they are both techy. Bob might as well, but tomorrow is a work day, and I suspect he is already in bed now - where I am off to in a moment.

😢 I made the decision today that the Meloxicam is not enough to help Peanut live a good chickeny life. She really can't move, or doesn't want to move much, it must be too uncomfortable, and there is no promise of recovery from cancer, things will be getting worse, and quickly I think. So I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow (turns out they don't do weekend house calls). She hasn't wanted to leave the nestbox today, at least through 4 o'clock when I had to leave to work, and I don't want to leave it until she is suffering even more.

For those of you who have done this, and those who haven't, I'd appreciate your thoughts on travel companion(s) for Peanut - I brought Butters (a calm hen) with her as a companion on her treatment visit previously. Do I do that again, with Butters, or maybe everyone, so there's less loss of company on the return trip, or take her there by herself, with no one (which doesn't seem right as far as how I did it last time)? And then later, if she is in a box, maybe, put her somewhere in the run back home, where they can see her, say goodbye, or know she has died? Or is it better for them if she just disappears and doesn't leave the box?
@RebeccaBoyd @Ponypoor @rural mouse
@RoyalChick @featherhead007 @bgmathteach @BY Bob @micstrachan
Oh no. I’m so sorry I missed this. I read on to see what ended up happening. I have not brought a travel Campania before, but it is a nice idea of the birds of how do you tonight at the vet just disappeared. I don’t want to die naturally at home, obviously the friends were aware of the death. I am so sorry.

I am way behind, still have to read Tuesday through today. And have several things I want to post about, but this post is dedicated to Miss Z. Ironically it is “Pony Sunday”, the day we post about the other animals besides chickens that we love. This will be a long, sad post.

We don’t expect Miss Z to make it through the night. For the past three weeks we have been doing everything we can for her. Unfortunately what we originally thought was just an injured front leg turned out to be a parasitic infection that got into her central nervous system. We were unaware that there is a worm that is common in whitetail deer that uses snails as part of its lifecycle, and we are overrun with both. When llamas accidentally ingest the snails (or vegetation that they have been in and left the parasitic larva on), they make their way to the spinal cord. It causes lameness and weakness in the hind end, and progresses to cause lots of other issues.

There are treatments that are frequently successful if caught early enough and if the animal is otherwise healthy. We had taken her to a vet when she started limping, but like with chickens there are very few vets that know much about llamas and the ones that will agree to treat them are usually just large animal/livestock vets with limited experience with camelids. It wasn’t until almost two weeks after the initial symptoms that I called the person who comes to shear her every year to get advice, both because it was over the July 4th holiday and the vet was closed for four days, and also because I know she has had llamas for almost 25 years. She is the one who helped me figure out the real issue, and gave me advice on how to treat her.

We have been doing all we can, but she has been unable to stand for six days. She had started to show a little more control of her tail the past two days, and could move her legs a little with assistance. But even with appetite stimulants and trying to yemot her with mashed and treat this past week she wasn’t eating enough and also became dehydrated. With the horrible heat we have been having she needs more guide than normal, not less, and she has gotten too weak to keep fighting.

We had made the decision that as long as she still seemed alert, still acted like she wanted to fight, we would do everything we could for her. Today I could tell she was starting to give up. I still have her medication and used our jerky gun to help her eat some mash, just in case she rallied. But tonight when I went to check her one more time before bed she looked like she had been trying to roll over and had her neck twisted at an awkward angle and was barely responsive. So I helped her get rolled over into what looked like a more comfortable position, told her it was ok to go if she was ready, sat with her a little while and then left her in peace. I am hoping she passes peacefully in the night, but if she doesn’t I will make arrangements to help her pass on tomorrow.

We love her very much, and will miss her.

Here she is a few weeks ago, watching the chickens. She seemed to really enjoy them and would frequently watch them or sleep in front of their coop on guard duty.
IMG_5244.jpeg

Please pray for my friends horse.

I have a really close friend who lives on a farm and has a bunch of horses. She has borders (people who keep their horse/s at someone else's barn) and she owns her own horses. She has an instructor out at her barn, and they are doing really well.
There is this one horse named Ruger. He has a chronic infection in his upper front right leg. The vet gave him a 50% percent chance to live, or a 50% chance to die.
Dakota (that's my friends name. She is a few years older than me.) drained all of the pus that was in the infection out, before the vet got there.
The vet told her that was a very smart decision.
Ruger has holes in his shoulder and around his upper leg, most of which has draining tubes in them. Some holes are/were open to drain, because the vet couldn't get tubes through them.
Dakota sent me a picture today. Ruger's let was covered in blood. She told me that the vet came again and cut all if the dead tissue out. I don't know how he is doing besides that.
A few days ago, I decided that I was going to paint a horse model accordingly. I think that it looks quite similar to Ruger.
I will get pictures of the model tomorrow.
I am supposed to go over to Dakota's farm/house on Wednesday. I will give her the finished model, and of course hang out with horses.

Please pray for Ruger. He is a very sweet horse, and he means a lot to Dakota's family. He also means a lot to the students, as he is a lesson horse.
Sorry to hear about Ruger, legs are bad areas for wounds on horses. They just don’t have a lot of flesh/tissue there.

Sure hope he does ok ❤️

Last edited:
I am way behind, still have to read Tuesday through today. And have several things I want to post about, but this post is dedicated to Miss Z. Ironically it is “Pony Sunday”, the day we post about the other animals besides chickens that we love. This will be a long, sad post.

We don’t expect Miss Z to make it through the night. For the past three weeks we have been doing everything we can for her. Unfortunately what we originally thought was just an injured front leg turned out to be a parasitic infection that got into her central nervous system. We were unaware that there is a worm that is common in whitetail deer that uses snails as part of its lifecycle, and we are overrun with both. When llamas accidentally ingest the snails (or vegetation that they have been in and left the parasitic larva on), they make their way to the spinal cord. It causes lameness and weakness in the hind end, and progresses to cause lots of other issues.

There are treatments that are frequently successful if caught early enough and if the animal is otherwise healthy. We had taken her to a vet when she started limping, but like with chickens there are very few vets that know much about llamas and the ones that will agree to treat them are usually just large animal/livestock vets with limited experience with camelids. It wasn’t until almost two weeks after the initial symptoms that I called the person who comes to shear her every year to get advice, both because it was over the July 4th holiday and the vet was closed for four days, and also because I know she has had llamas for almost 25 years. She is the one who helped me figure out the real issue, and gave me advice on how to treat her.

We have been doing all we can, but she has been unable to stand for six days. She had started to show a little more control of her tail the past two days, and could move her legs a little with assistance. But even with appetite stimulants and trying to yemot her with mashed and treat this past week she wasn’t eating enough and also became dehydrated. With the horrible heat we have been having she needs more guide than normal, not less, and she has gotten too weak to keep fighting.

We had made the decision that as long as she still seemed alert, still acted like she wanted to fight, we would do everything we could for her. Today I could tell she was starting to give up. I still have her medication and used our jerky gun to help her eat some mash, just in case she rallied. But tonight when I went to check her one more time before bed she looked like she had been trying to roll over and had her neck twisted at an awkward angle and was barely responsive. So I helped her get rolled over into what looked like a more comfortable position, told her it was ok to go if she was ready, sat with her a little while and then left her in peace. I am hoping she passes peacefully in the night, but if she doesn’t I will make arrangements to help her pass on tomorrow.

We love her very much, and will miss her.

Here she is a few weeks ago, watching the chickens. She seemed to really enjoy them and would frequently watch them or sleep in front of their coop on guard duty.
View attachment 3572185
I'm so sorry. So much loss on the thread recently. :hugs

Ok the answer to who is broody in the "wilds of the tall grass

The location
View attachment 3572133

The eggs
View attachment 3572134

The guesses (If I missed someone (again) yell at me)

@RebeccaBoyd : Primula because of broody reputation of Brahmas
@RoyalChick : Pear, Maizie at a stretch
@Ponypoor : "one of my lovely girls", more specific: hope it's not Thing, going with Silver due to older ladies going broody
@bgmathteach : Not Jessica (too obvious), so Maizie or Primula
@BY Bob : Thing for fun
@lightm : initial guess Twirp (not broody, but expected to be creative if she ever does), round 2: Maizie or Pippa.

View attachment 3572129

Blue lady

View attachment 3572130View attachment 3572131View attachment 3572132My Storm cloud. Orphaned at 3 weeks, raised by Silver and Pear (and a slew of pullets, and Cheetah, only 9 weeks older than she is). A quiet lady, slips into the coop, lays her egg, slips out. No fuss, no drama, just goes about her business. An independent lady not willing to take much from young idiots. Whiskey was doing some serious courtship to which she responded well. Most (if not all) of her eggs in the clutch will be his. There are a few odd ones in there.
Awwww such a lovely girl, she reminds me of Misty and Whiskers here ❤️ When do you think hatch day will be?

Peanut is not doing much better on the painkiller. Just talked to the vet call center, she's looking to see if the vet on duty can come here tomorrow to help Peanut pass. She offered to check if I could bring Peanut up there today, but unless it's cancelled due to thunderstorms (actually likely) I have a gig in the opposite direction today and have to leave here by 4. It also would be added stress on Peanut to travel, it would be altogether less stress all around, me included to not travel for it...

I'm sitting with her with the side door to the nestbox open. She's confined herself here today, and though the Meloxicam has perked her up as far as catching flies, preening a little, gathering a little nest box hemp to her breast, she's not moving much except to adjust her sitting and raise up a bit and forward to poop. She doesn't want to drink any water. She is taking some blueberries and a little scrambled eggs & sunflower seeds. Her crop seems full and I wonder if things aren't moving.

Her belly is not tight like it was but it is filling again, and she is panting and seems hot. She stood a bit wingspreading and then slowly settled down like she didn't want the strain of standing. Or I'm imagining that. But the chopped hemp is warm and holds her heat. I might put her on the roost platform next to this where it is much cooler, especially since there's a big hole below with hardware cloth and screening in the poop tray now. If she wants to move back I'll help her if she can't.
Edit - I just left her there on the hemp. She might be feeling vulnerable and wants to feel hidden in the nest box darkness.
Aww CB, I’m sorry to hear about Peanut. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom