Chiquita's eggs have been in the incubator for a week now last night. I just candled them and 3 are coming along perfectly. Not only are the veined up you can see the embryo and watch the rhythmic movement of it and the veins. I could get lost just staring at that in fascination but each egg was only out at most 2 minutes. The 2 eggs I was questioning are now without a doubt duds. They did not even try to start. In truth though, 3 is a perfect number for this time of year. And because they are silkies, they will not outgrow their brooder at that number until they are about 2 months old when they will be ready to transition outside if weather permits. During that 2 months, they will become the most spoiled and pampered chicks who will probably protest the injustice of it all when they are moved to the big outdoors.

Drive by posting...
Have had 2 girls in full molt.
Doesn't stop Whip from her beauty regiment of dirt bathing
20220203_122028.jpg

And a fluffy bum for Friday, courtesy of Pingu
20220203_122149.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well...I have hundreds and hundreds of pages to catch up on. It's quite daunting!

This is the scoop, apparently in the US Henny Penny is known as Chicken Little, in all cases of the story's idiom is the premise that the sky is falling, which is more or less equates to fearmongering 🙂; thus the poor Pentagon Hen, may in fact have been trying to go see the king (someone there knows their Brothers Grimm!):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny
Thankfully someone explained this mystery for us.

Did someone say mystery?
20211104220901.jpg

Chiquita's eggs have been in the incubator for a week now last night. I just candled them and 3 are coming along perfectly. Not only are the veined up you can see the embryo and watch the rhythmic movement of it and the veins. I could get lost just staring at that in fascination but each egg was only out at most 2 minutes. The 2 eggs I was questioning are now without a doubt duds. They did not even try to start. In truth though, 3 is a perfect number for this time of year. And because they are silkies, they will not outgrow their brooder at that number until they are about 2 months old when they will be ready to transition outside if weather permits. During that 2 months, they will become the most spoiled and pampered chicks who will probably protest the injustice of it all when they are moved to the big outdoors.
So egg-citing 🤗 I can't wait to see them!

Back
Top Bottom