Flock behavior after a hen passes :(

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We experienced our first chicken loss early this morning. :( She had been sick for days, most likely a ruptured egg/egg bound). She was the sweetest most lovable girl and we will deeply miss her. I am wondering if it is common for others in the flock to grieve the passing of a hen.
IMG_0510.jpeg
We have 5 hens left and one of them was best buddies with her. I’m wondering what to expect now that she is gone.

We experienced our first chicken loss early this morning. :( She had been sick for days, most likely a ruptured egg/egg bound). She was the sweetest most lovable girl and we will deeply miss her. I am wondering if it is common for others in the flock to grieve the passing of a hen. View attachment 3574760We have 5 hens left and one of them was best buddies with her. I’m wondering what to expect now that she is gone.
To answer your question, I believe that chickens do grieve.
I had a Rhode Island Red (Brownie) and an Easter Egger (Miss Busy) that were side by side at all times, and did everything together. When Brownie passed, I noticed that Miss Busy was acting much different, as if she was putting together the fact that her buddy was really gone. 😞

Just like people, chickens have best friends (and worst enemies), and so that must mean that they mourn their dead as well.

And I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure she had a wonderful life. ❤️

We experienced our first chicken loss early this morning. :( She had been sick for days, most likely a ruptured egg/egg bound). She was the sweetest most lovable girl and we will deeply miss her. I am wondering if it is common for others in the flock to grieve the passing of a hen. View attachment 3574760We have 5 hens left and one of them was best buddies with her. I’m wondering what to expect now that she is gone.
I’m sorry for your loss.. what a pretty girl ♥️ I’m wondering how the girls did after she passed? I just lost my head hen.. flock leader. Im so worried about her best friend will handle this. My flock watched her pass last night. I swear they stayed by her side. I can see it on my Ring camera 😭🙏🏻 Did your flock adjust?

I have had them be discombobulated for a day or two. But nothing long term. In my experience, they really don't have long memories. If you pulled a bird, and days later, tried to add her back, often times they act like they have never known her.

I don't think it is grief, but more that chickens hate change.

Mrs K

I have had them be discombobulated for a day or two. But nothing long term. In my experience, they really don't have long memories. If you pulled a bird, and days later, tried to add her back, often times they act like they have never known her.

I don't think it is grief, but more that chickens hate change.

Mrs K
That’s actually reassuring ♥️ Hard enough to lose them let alone watch them grieve. Mine seem to be doing okay 🙏🏻🐓

Back
Top Bottom