Floating duck house housekeeping

CJreef

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our daughter gave us a floating duck house as an early Christmas present. We just set it up in the pond today. Don't know if the ducks, a pair of Rouens, will use it but, if they do, how often will it need cleaning? Some people say that ducks do not soil their home area. Any feedback anyone? Thanks.

Well, my ducks get room service every day, I do spot-picking, fluff bedding, and add fresh when needed. I would think you'd need to be able to get to the floating house and clean it out regularly.

If they are on the pond most of the time, they would be defecating in the pond more than the house, but at some point the bedding will need to be changed. Also, right on the water, the bedding will get and stay wet - and could produce ammonia if not managed well.

I don't have a floating duck house, so I am thinking "out loud" here. I think the idea is neat.

Thanks for the feedback Amiga. The ducks haven't as much as looked at the floating duck house. It was really meant as a shelter from the elements this winter and from predators. They spend most of their time in a smaller pond they call home but I was hoping they would move to the larger pond which would be safer. Also, the small pond tends to freeze except for a small area near the spring house. This won't be a problem when/if we get more rain and we get more water flow.

I think it was a nice gift and I clean my houses once a week the whole thing. Check every few days otherwise for a quick clean.

Back
Top Bottom