Fishing!

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
C'mon, there's gotta be some fishing freaks stowed away on BYC somewhere! Whether it be bass, catfish, perch, bluegill, crappie, trout, or inshore/offshore fishing this is the place to talk about it! Living in Florida, there's a bass over 5 pounds in every retention pound. So that's my fish of choice, the largemouth bass! When I get the chance, channel catfish are a blast to catch, same for large panfish. Honestly, that's all there really is for freshwater in my area. But when I head to the coast, (New Smyrna beach) redfish, bluefish, pompano, flounder, trout, whiting, and big snook is pretty much what I fish for. For freshwater, my favorite rig is typically a 5 to 7 foot medium action rod (uglystick, or shakespeare) with a penn spinning reel spooled with a decent amount of 10 lb Berkley Trilene monofilament. I typically don't use leaders, most places here are overfished and the bass spook extremely easily. My bait of choice? Golden shiners are big bass magnets, I use those whenever the shiner population down at a certain lake explodes. Most of the time, I'm using lures. Soft swim baits, creature baits, occasionally worms, and jerkbaits (Super flukes!) being my favorite softie. Hard baits? Spinners prevail in the fall, and shallow diving crankbaits still work well in the heat.

My best bass? I catch 5 pounders often but my biggest was a 24" 9.3 pound bass, caught off a 5" topwater crankbait. Here it is, and yes, I released. I don't eat trophies.
tongue.png

fish034.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy fishing too.. I failed to do any this year but I love it. I'm old fashioned though, regular old flea market rod and reel. Fitted with hook and worm, sometimes liver or tripe.
Going to the beach though, OBX.. We've learned 30lb test, along with squid or fishbites on a double rig. I few years ago we were fishing in a sound and all the sudden a pole twitched. We waited a second and the pole jerked down. Hard and quick. The line snapped, happened again with another pole. The third pole went in the water and something hit it, we started reeling it in, we saw a fin coming straight out of the water. We were sure it was a shark, but once we got it out of the water we realized it was a big manta stingray.
They were swarming that year.. The next day we were on the pier and saw fish jumping out of the water, once it got darker we could see why. There were giant rays in the water, they looked almost as big as VW bugs

I've been fishing since a was born! I love to do most any kind of fishing, when I was seven I caught a 20 lb salmon! And I don't know how many trout I've reeled in-probly somewhere in the hundreds=D

Quote:
Nice,
tongue.png
. I've never caught a trout before, nor salmon. No such thing as a clean, cool, fast moving stream or river here in Florida. My biggest fish? Had to be a 7 foot sailfish I caught with my uncle on his huge bought. I swear, that wasn't easy. They say fishing doesn't take muscle, PSHH. Took 50 minutes of hell for a teenage boy to real that best in.
roll.png
Lake Toho is my next destination, I'm going for some double digit bass.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom