First time guinea hatcher with pics

bockbock2008

Why do they call me crazy??
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Southwest Indiana
This was my first time hatching guineas. I had a 100% success rate. I bought 4 adult guineas, all pied, from a local auction. About 3 weeks later my hen went missign for 3 days and then came back only to dissappear again. I looked for a nest and found it only about 20 feet from their pen. They live with my 35 or so chickens. There were 10 eggs laid but 2 of them were busted so I had 8 good eggs. Off to the incubator I go and yesterday all 8 of them hatched. I think I got 4 pearl, 2 whites and 2 pieds. What do you think?

20323_100_2636.jpg

20323_100_2643.jpg

20323_100_2637.jpg

Last edited:
They are adorable! I also had good luck with the first eggs I hatched from my own guineas (not so much from eggs I got online).

Oh they're beautiful! I love the whites! I wonder if the whites are more delicate. I hatched 6 whites and none of them made it. I was so disappointed because I loved their color.

I have 22 guineas and I adore mine!!

Laurie

Thanks for posting your pics. Beautiful babies !! Keep 'em warm and dry. The first two weeks keets are actually less hardy than chicks.

Fresh, clean water everyday is a key to success. I find that Guineas in general are pretty fussy about their water.
They LOVE milk, but do not feed it until about 5 weeks.

Guineas are babies until about 12 weeks of age. About then they start to blend into the flock and take actions to care for themselves. If you can find a hen (chicken) that will care for them, it makes it so much easier.

For some reason, Giuneas just do not have the coping skills that chicks do. In adult hood they are hardy and can take care of themselves, although they are still wussy when a mad hen comes after them.

Guineas do well when they have buddies to hang with.

Back
Top Bottom