First time broody in a freeze

klb25

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I discovered today I have a broody hen. She's in a spot I admit I never checked because I foolishly believed if I couldn't access it, neither could the chickens. Lesson learned. I have no idea how long the eggs have been there as I only spotted it by accident. She's been sitting on them all day other than to eat (I've been spying). I'm concerned since we've had beautiful spring weather but a snowstorm is coming tonight. The lows will be around 15°F/-9°C for two days before returning to normal.

I've never had a broody hen before. She and her fellow red Phoenix siblings all sleep in a secured run, but I do lock them in a coop if it gets below 20. I'm not sure what to do, or if there is even any chance of these eggs hatching given the temperatures. Should I move her and the eggs? Get rid of the eggs and hope she does it again? Any advice whatsoever is very much appreciated.

If you wish her to continue incubating eggs, the eggs will be fine no matter how much below freezing it gets. The broody will also likely be fine as long as she eats enough calories to sustain her body heat.

You say the run is secured, but is it protected from the weather? If she's in a nest in an exposed spot that will get wet or freezing wind, she won't be okay.

If you wish her to continue incubating eggs, the eggs will be fine no matter how much below freezing it gets. The broody will also likely be fine as long as she eats enough calories to sustain her body heat.

You say the run is secured, but is it protected from the weather? If she's in a nest in an exposed spot that will get wet or freezing wind, she won't be okay.
She could get snow on her where she's sitting. Would it be safe to move her and the eggs? I do have a covered spot I could move them to where she could be out of the weather.

Moving her is plan B. Can you rig a weather shield so she's protected from snow and wind? If she's well into her three-week incubation, and this weather event is going to be isolated, and the weather for her remaining term will be decently uneventful, then it would be best to leave her where she is and mitigate this approaching weather event with a tarp and maybe a hot water bottle.

Moving her is plan B. Can you rig a weather shield so she's protected from snow and wind? If she's well into her three-week incubation, and this weather event is going to be isolated, and the weather for her remaining term will be decently uneventful, then it would be best to leave her where she is and mitigate this approaching weather event with a tarp and maybe a hot water bottle.
Yes, I can rig something. She has herself set up in a far corner so it shouldn't be hard to prop up something to protect her from the elements. I don't think the eggs have been there more than a couple days and thankfully we will be back in the 60s in a couple days. Crazy weather!

Thank you so much!

The lows will be around 15°F/-9°C for two days before returning to normal.
I seem to be posting this link a lot lately. Your concern is shared by many. This thread is about someone who let a broody hen hatch in weather colder than you will see. Your hen can handle it. Azygous gives good advice.

Winter Brooding

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

I do lock them in a coop if it gets below 20.
I don't. I let them decide what they want to do. They know a lot more about when they are comfortable than I do.

Ice.jpg

I took this photo when it was 4 Fahrenheit (-16 C). You can see the ice on the ground. I left the pop door open and they decided they'd rather be outside. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be outside, they don't like a cold wind. But just cold weather is not a problem.

Snow Feb 2013.JPG

I'll include this photo too. When they wake up to a white world mine don't want to come out and play, usually for a couple of days. It's not the snow that's the real problem, they just don't like the change. They were already outside when this snow started falling. The change was gradual enough that they decided to stay out in it. I did not lock them anywhere, I let them decide.

I seem to be posting this link a lot lately. Your concern is shared by many. This thread is about someone who let a broody hen hatch in weather colder than you will see. Your hen can handle it. Azygous gives good advice.

Winter Brooding

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

I don't. I let them decide what they want to do. They know a lot more about when they are comfortable than I do.

View attachment 3022291
I took this photo when it was 4 Fahrenheit (-16 C). You can see the ice on the ground. I left the pop door open and they decided they'd rather be outside. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be outside, they don't like a cold wind. But just cold weather is not a problem.

View attachment 3022290
I'll include this photo too. When they wake up to a white world mine don't want to come out and play, usually for a couple of days. It's not the snow that's the real problem, they just don't like the change. They were already outside when this snow started falling. The change was gradual enough that they decided to stay out in it. I did not lock them anywhere, I let them decide.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom