Fenbendazole (SafeGuard) (Panacur) Side Effects

The avian vet lectures that I've attended recommend against using this class of drugs in chickens, for all of the above. I use Ivermectin if needed for intestinal parasites, carefully measured per bird, and so far haven't had to treat for tapeworms, a good thing. It's also not approved, but nearly nothing is.... At least now I'm all about the permethrin spray for external parasites, so much better! Mary

The avian vet lectures that I've attended recommend against using this class of drugs in chickens, for all of the above. I use Ivermectin if needed for intestinal parasites, carefully measured per bird, and so far haven't had to treat for tapeworms, a good thing. It's also not approved, but nearly nothing is.... At least now I'm all about the permethrin spray for external parasites, so much better! Mary
I would feel better about using it (ivermectin) if I could be 100% sure that it treated capillary worms and cecal worms. As for the health of my current flock with regards to fenbendazole, I haven't seen any adverse effects when using it, and I'm on my 4th liter of it, but seeing the studies about the possible problems makes me think I should do more research.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom