Female with large comb?

jpd822

Hatching
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Michigan, USA
OK... So I'm new to this site and this is my first post... My Wife and I decided to raise our own chickens for multiple reasons (eggs, good experience for the kids, etc...). Our birds (all RIRs) are now about 18 weeks old. We ordered all hens, but what I've begun to notice is that one of our hens has a comb that is much larger than the others... Can hens have large combs? I Googled pictures of RIR hens and none seemed to have as big of a comb or wattles as ours does. Did we by chance get a rooster by mistake? We haven't had any "wake up calls" by him/her yet so I'm hoping that there's hope she is still a SHE... I took a couple pics if that helps any...

OK... So I'm new to this site and this is my first post... My Wife and I decided to raise our own chickens for multiple reasons (eggs, good experience for the kids, etc...). Our birds (all RIRs) are now about 18 weeks old. We ordered all hens, but what I've begun to notice is that one of our hens has a comb that is much larger than the others... Can hens have large combs? I Googled pictures of RIR hens and none seemed to have as big of a comb or wattles as ours does. Did we by chance get a rooster by mistake? We haven't had any "wake up calls" by him/her yet so I'm hoping that there's hope she is still a SHE... I took a couple pics if that helps any...

That's a hen. Yes some are more well endowed than others.

looks like a production red pullet there are no long slinder pointed saddles and these would be obivious by now on a cockerel as they start to come in between 13-15 weeks, or its a slow maturing cockerel that hasnt got its cockerel feathers yet but my bet is on a pullet

That's a hen. Yes some are more well endowed than others.
I like how you put it!
thumbsup.gif

Definitely a hen. Ready to start laying.

It is a hen with a large comb..it doesn't have any rooster feathers...if you did have a rooster you would be able to see the difference easily...just look up your breed roosters...you will see...I have a hen with a huge floppy comb...but she is a hen...they say a larger combed hen will lay more eggs than a smaller combed hen of the same type..so it's a good thing.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Glad to hear she is definitely a she...lol So far between the 4 birds I've gotten 2 eggs starting about 5 days ago (1 the first day and 1 the next day). Not sure if they came from the same bird or from 2 different birds. Haven't had another egg since. I'm assuming this is common since they are just now getting to laying age...

This looks just like my hen and she is RIR X light Sussex and she has a very big comb that falls to the side

Back
Top Bottom