Female or male guinea fowl as indoor pet?

BigRedHenny

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Los Angeles
I was watching this YouTube video about a tame and indoor guinea fowl. I have never raised a guinea fowl before, but my main concern is how loud a guinea fowl can get. My neighbor is against roosters and he even went as far as sending me in writing the words NO ROOSTERS. However, the neighbor only indicated roosters as in male chickens. I read that guinea fowls can be loud, but how do they compare to roosters? Also, are the female guinea fowls quiet like hens?

And what maximum age should a guinea fowl be if I were to proceed in taming it to be like the one in this YouTube video?

I was watching this YouTube video about a tame and indoor guinea fowl. I have never raised a guinea fowl before, but my main concern is how loud a guinea fowl can get. My neighbor is against roosters and he even went as far as sending me in writing the words NO ROOSTERS. However, the neighbor only indicated roosters as in male chickens. I read that guinea fowls can be loud, but how do they compare to roosters? Also, are the female guinea fowls quiet like hens?

And what maximum age should a guinea fowl be if I were to proceed in taming it to be like the one in this YouTube video?

My personal opinion, guineas are louder than roosters! Both the males and females

Guineas are a flock bird and should be raised in large groups. If you want a bird for an indoor pet, do not get a guinea.

As @Isadora T stated guineas whether male or female are louder than roosters.

Guineas are a flock bird and should be raised in large groups. If you want a bird for an indoor pet, do not get a guinea.

As @Isadora T stated guineas whether male or female are louder than roosters.

Thank you for your opinion, but what makes that tame and indoor guinea fowl in the YouTube video an exception to the "rules"?

I've seen this person before. They keep several guineas, and none of them are permanent indoor pets. I believe that they are simply very tame and occasionally come indoors for pets and treats.

I've been known to hold, cuddle,and rock in the chair w/them. Kept a few in overnight when injured in a dog crate. I also have a thing abt washing my guineas feet often. But to live permanently?
First and foremost- They have little to no control over the sphincter when it comes to defecating. I've had one that never pooped on me(A rare bird, indeed). But I would never let one freely roam inside my house. Mb if I was a crazy hermit living on my own, but I have grans and there's nasty stuff in that poop.
2nd- they have no inhibitions about walking or pecking in said poop.
3rd- The CDC & USDA have warnings abt not having poultry/water/gamebirds inside, including chicks/keets, etc. -and many ignore it while they're in the brooder.
As for when you should start training- I'm the odd duck in here who handles them from birth and as often as I can. I want them to see me, know me, trust me & come to me. I acknowledge that they are wild animals, but they still count on me to take care of them.
I'm not chastising you; I've seen videos of ppl's chickens in the house and it doesn't seem to phase them that they put out a video for the world to see of a chicken pooping on their kitchen floor and then walking in it. So mb this person really does let their goon have free reign. I wouldn't sit down if visiting..and watch where you step.
But R2 is right, they are a flock bird, and when separated from the flock,they call out for them NONE STOP. Imagine having a female screaming come back!comeback! or a male screeching eyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeye! While you're trying to sleep.
Mb a parrot or conur or quail?

Get a parrot if you want an indoor bird.
I've been known to hold, cuddle,and rock in the chair w/them. Kept a few in overnight when injured in a dog crate. I also have a thing abt washing my guineas feet often. But to live permanently?
First and foremost- They have little to no control over the sphincter when it comes to defecating. I've had one that never pooped on me(A rare bird, indeed). But I would never let one freely roam inside my house. Mb if I was a crazy hermit living on my own, but I have grans and there's nasty stuff in that poop.
2nd- they have no inhibitions about walking or pecking in said poop.
3rd- The CDC & USDA have warnings abt not having poultry/water/gamebirds inside, including chicks/keets, etc. -and many ignore it while they're in the brooder.
As for when you should start training- I'm the odd duck in here who handles them from birth and as often as I can. I want them to see me, know me, trust me & come to me. I acknowledge that they are wild animals, but they still count on me to take care of them.
I'm not chastising you; I've seen videos of ppl's chickens in the house and it doesn't seem to phase them that they put out a video for the world to see of a chicken pooping on their kitchen floor and then walking in it. So mb this person really does let their goon have free reign. I wouldn't sit down if visiting..and watch where you step.
But R2 is right, they are a flock bird, and when separated from the flock,they call out for them NONE STOP. Imagine having a female screaming come back!comeback! or a male screeching eyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeye! While you're trying to sleep.
Mb a parrot or conur or quail?
Pigeons are another good house pet, and a lot quieter than parrots.

Back
Top Bottom