Female ducks mounting... A LOT

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
Hey everyone! I know it's been a very long time, but my 5 ducks are doing very well and healthy, and I'm getting 4 or 5 eggs everyday! I have 1 Cayuga, 1 Rouen, 2 Golden 300s, and 1 Khaki Cambell. They're all a delight to have around the yard most of the time, except when they start mounting each other all the time!! IN the last hour, I've had to break them up about 4 times because they keep trying to mount each other in their water container, the middle of the yard, etc. Can I get this to stop in any way?! The one duck underneath looked pretty distressed as she got pushed under into their water container, and I can't keep breaking them up all the time... Suggestions?? Thank you!

Is it the same one who is always topping?
Good question. It's actually a couple of them usually top the others. One of the Hybrids, and the cayuga usually top, but them sometimes it's the other ones. The other hybrid has that little strip on her neck where you can see feathers have been pulled, so obviously she gets mounted more often. Hope that helps?

Hmm. I would say it's an aggressive female, but if there's multiple... are you feeding anything other than poultry food?
Yeah it is mostly those two that I mentioned. Just nature's best Organic layer crumbles from TSC, scratch grains from TSC, and mealworms once in a while. Oh and the usual kitchen scraps- Spinach, lettuce, bananas, ect.

I, too, have very horny female ducks. :lol: Every once in a while we holler at them to quit it, more as a joke than anything. Everyone seems to be having a good time so who am I to judge!

Yeah I can understand that, but I'm worried about one of them getting hurt, you know? Especially with the one duck showing signs of lots of feathers being pulled from her neck. My parents are also disturbed by it:gig

Hey everyone! I know it's been a very long time, but my 5 ducks are doing very well and healthy, and I'm getting 4 or 5 eggs everyday! I have 1 Cayuga, 1 Rouen, 2 Golden 300s, and 1 Khaki Cambell. They're all a delight to have around the yard most of the time, except when they start mounting each other all the time!! IN the last hour, I've had to break them up about 4 times because they keep trying to mount each other in their water container, the middle of the yard, etc. Can I get this to stop in any way?! The one duck underneath looked pretty distressed as she got pushed under into their water container, and I can't keep breaking them up all the time... Suggestions?? Thank you!

That's going to be common with an all-female flock, not much you can do besides keeping an eye on them and make sure no one gets hurt. Adding more females may help, it's not guaranteed though, hopefully, it'll die down after spring.

Yeah I can understand that, but I'm worried about one of them getting hurt, you know? Especially with the one duck showing signs of lots of feathers being pulled from her neck. My parents are also disturbed by it:gig

I hear ya. While both are apt to mount, our Welsh Harlequin is a bit more aggressive, and our Cayuga has suffered some missing feathers on the back of her neck, but nothing worse than that really. They're two years old now and seem to be less aggressive about it this spring than last... so hopefully, as MasterOfClucker says above, it will die down.

Back
Top Bottom