Feeding

Pics
How much feed does 20 laying hens eat a week. Trying to figure out cost. Thanks
Most commercially produced feeds come with a recommendation on how much to feed your chickens.
The very rough guidelines are 85grams (3oz) a day for a bantam breed and 120grams (4.25oz) a day for a typical high production breed.
These estimates are for confined hens who are only fed commercial feed.

I have 35 birds and 3 ducks I go thru 1 bag of food a week and that's with them also eating whatever they can find in the yard. Right now I feel it's going a little faster the chipmunks seem to be stocking up for winter 😆

Sounds like you want to be a really good chicken mom. I am new to this also. I really love reading all the comments. All the folks in here are great for giving advice. When reading it absorb what they say, when reading research keep in mind that they only test certain numbers of animals and not all things apply to everyone. Basic chicken care usually works best. There’s lot of articles on that. Chicks are fun try not to worry like everyone says they eat what they need. I did find a good ration for treats. I think it was 4 tablespoons in the morning and four tablespoons in the afternoon for a flock of 8.

Just the sheer weight involved ended the FF experiment quickly for me. I go through 20-25lbs of dry feed a DAY - we stuck with crumble because there's always a broody with chicks, there's always a bunch of juveniles around - and I like that it takes them longer to eat the crumbles. I will say the chickens LOVE it when I wet their food. They're all over it like meal worms.

I've read that fermenting feed can reduce feed costs because the chickens' bodies use it more efficiently and the added water causes the food to expand. It's also good for the chickens' overall health. :)

https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/fermentation.html
My hens love fermented feed and won't touch dry feed until all the fermented stuff is gone. It does take more work, but once you get in a routine, its not too much extra.

Oh dear I am in the pro FF camp since 2015 or 16.
So many variables that can change people's results me thinks

I currently have over a hundred chickens and turkeys, some are teenagers and babies. I ferment 25 lb a day and they are in a large poultry yard with forage. This is typically what I feed daily.
I harvest most of my cockerels and jakes. They still have fat so they aren't starving. I helped someone with some Orpingtons this fall and they had a lot more fat than my birds internally.

Nov 2020 I got sick, I was feeding 25 lbs FF until then. Cold so no forage but most spring birds had been harvested. I got so I couldn't deal with FF. They ended up eating an extra 10 lbs a day when it was dry. Not sure if they were wasting the pellets, unseen rodents taking them, they ate less because they were full or what. I pickup any uneaten food at night and my birds eat mice.
As soon as I was able I went back to FF. I backslop and ferment 12 hrs usually. Feed bag started lasting 2 days again.

If it doesn't work for you I wouldn't use it either.
I know I eat less calories when I have soup and fill up on water. Lots of people have fat birds from overeating.

Kitchen scraps and treats are not a good substitute for feed that is designed to properly give the chickens all the nutrients they need. It is filler that restricts how much of the proper feed a chicken can eat. Just like giving a kid a bag of candy so you don't have to buy him a full lunch meal.

Thanks for this useful information on feeding. My 2 girls free range many days and also check out my compost pile so I don’t go through a lot of feed. I am noticing that many eggs have tiny blood spots in them and also other spots of unknown matter. Maybe lacking something. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom